Thread: Wildeye lure

Default Wildeye lure

I have some wildeye lures by storm also some calcutta lures that are similar. They come in a plastic pouch and when opened they feel oily and have a verry strong plastic smell. Has anyone fished with these lures? I took some out and let them dry off and plan on putting on some smelly jelly before I fish with them to mask the plastic smell. Has anyone tried this or other sents on them?

Quote Originally Posted by fishtales View Post
    I have some wildeye lures by storm also some calcutta lures that are similar. They come in a plastic pouch and when opened they feel oily and have a verry strong plastic smell. Has anyone fished with these lures? I took some out and let them dry off and plan on putting on some smelly jelly before I fish with them to mask the plastic smell. Has anyone tried this or other sents on them?
    I use the heck out of them and all sorts of other brands of "soft baits." They're real popular for stripers and other saltwater fish back east. They work like a charm here and often better than any other lure or bait. Only problem is their light weight. If you want to get them deep, they won't do it by themselves. Just wish one of the makers would wise up and make some real heavyweights. BTW- The big one from Storm, I think it's called Bunker or Bunker Bait. They're about 9" long. You better be serious about big halibut if you jig one of them down deep in a soaker hole.

They all tear pretty easy. As I recall, there are some "repair" kits available somewhere online. Evidently they're some kind of silicone and take repairs well. Haven't tried them, but I know guys back east that swear by them, especially for bigger ones that get hammered by big fish. They're expensive.

As for the oily stuff? Fish don't seem to mind, and in fact fishing falls off as the stuff wears away. I don't know whether to call it an attractant or not, but it does seem to make a positive difference. Haven't thought of using smelly jelly, but interested in your results.

Let us know!

for sure they work great for most fish the scent is not a problem but the problem is they are single use lures so stock up when using them cause even a little fish destroys them and once the tail is gone they dont seem to care about them anymore

where are you using them ? they work great on the salt if your into silvers and rockies they will work great no bait or scent needed problem is they get torn up quick I pour my own jigs up to 10 ounces use owner hooks and tubes much cheaper and they work great for all kinds of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtales View Post
    They come in a plastic pouch and when opened they feel oily and have a verry strong plastic smell.
    I bought some of their (Storm) big grubs the other day, with similar packaging...I think the stuff in the package is anise.

I have used them ice fishing for burbot and big char.
    Had some pretty good luck.

Thanks guys I plan on a trip to the Yukon after moose season to catch some lake trout. They have a slot limit on lakers 26 to 39 are protected you can keep one over 39 or two under 26. I dont plan on keeping any but I will eat one or two of the smaller ones while I am there. I would like to see Alaska try this with a couple of the bigger lakes maby Fielding and or Summit or Paxton lakes. Yukon f&g claims that from 26 to 39 inches are the major spawners.

the canadians take good care of there fisheries most guides practice catch and release and barbless. I've fished hard for lake trout in colo. wyo.utah and canada for many years, not sure what the yukon waters like but I like to jig or cast another good lure is the berkely gulp but I just use tube jigs.