Thread: 9422M problem

Default 9422M problem

I have an older 9422M that is in great condition, except at 25 yards it shoots 4-5" right, even with the sights all the adjusted for it, even with a peep sight to increase the sight radius.

Anyone ever see anything like this? The crown looks fine, the bore doesn't like it is drilled off center, I'm not sure what the problem is. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I have an older 9422M that is in great condition, except at 25 yards it shoots 4-5" right, even with the sights all the adjusted for it, even with a peep sight to increase the sight radius.

Anyone ever see anything like this? The crown looks fine, the bore doesn't like it is drilled off center, I'm not sure what the problem is. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

thanks
    Knock the rear sight .024" to the left.

Not to be so obstinate here but is it 4" or 5"??

Wait...... you're saying when using barrel mounted sights or receiver mounted peeps it shoots 4 to 5" to the right with both sights. That ain't the gun. You say you have windage adjustment in both sights but not enough. Where does it shoot with the sights centered? How far left do you bring the group with the windage adjustments? Interesting.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,

Thanks for the reply.

I meant to say that even with the front sight knocked literally halfway out of the dovetail and the same done with the rear sight, it still shoots 4" to the right. I can't adjust the sights any further or they will fall out of the slot.

The only thing I can think of is that the barrel is either bent or screwed into the reciever at a slight angle. I can't tell by looking at it though.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

Knock the rear sight to the left and the front sight to the right, in the northern hemisphere. It isn't likely that it is a bent barrel or such and even if screwed into the receiver cross threaded, with sights on the barrel, it should adjust. I doubt that a muzzle crown could get it that far out....17 MOA!! Don't know what to think.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Yeah, that's what I did, the front sight is hanging halfway out of the dovetail to the right and the rear is hanging halfway out to the left...and that still gives me a POI 4" to the right.

Maybe it is something as simple as ammo?

Frustrating because it is such a nice little rifle. I don't want to put a scope on it and I don't want to sell it knowing it has such a problem.

Thanks

Bent or a very very bad spot in the bore close to the muzzle is my guess. Either should be visible with a good light.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I wonder if mounting a scope on it would do any good? Maybe a scope would have enough windage to compensate for whatever is wrong with the gun and you wouldn've have a iron sights hanging way out to the left and the right.

Will a 22cal bore rod go do the barrel?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default I would say,,,,,

Ye must FIRST, establish "whatever is wrong with the gun".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You would thing the problem would be plane to see when a rifle is shooting around corners like that. Got me wanting to know what the heck it is.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Do try another type of ammo.
    Different weight bullets react differently to various twists of rifleing.
    Are you using light grained hollow points?

My friend and I went out with his new 17HMR.
    17 grn. red tipped ammo keyholed to the left about 12 inches at 50 yards,often Impacting sideways.
    A different box of solids (Mayby 22 grn.?) and thisgs were "Tight"

I had a 1917 Enfeild once that had a front sight base that was obviously "Off" with the front post cranked way to the left, but shot spot on untill I retired it.

Never know untill you try.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Had the same problem..

..with a marlin bolt action 22 mag. I forget the model number right now.

With iron sights the rifle consistantly grouped four inches left. I tried adjusting the sights, and tried various types of ammo with no improvement. The barrel is true, the grouping of the little rifle was great, five shot groups normally produced tight little clover leafs, four inches frokm my point of aim. The sights would adjust some, just not enough. I couldn't give up on the gun because it grouped so well.

I found a nice little scope and installed it on the riffle. Sure enough, that worked. That rifle now consistantly shoots where aimed. Whenever I go squirrel hunting, that is my go to rifle.

This is just my experience with one rifle and by no means a scientific truth or test, but I believe the problem was in the factory installation of the mass produced, low cost 22 rifle iron sights.

With the scope, and with several hundred rounds now fired through the rifle the average five shot group at 25 yards can be covered with a dime, with plenty of room to spare. Fifty yard head shots on treed squirrels have proven no challenge at all.

Just the rambling thoughts from a desert bound soldier dreaming of any time spent in the Alaskan Bush. lol Looking forward to August, when I'll be back there on leave!

Ralph,

Thanks...sorry to hear about your rifle...and I know what it's like to be in the desert during hunting season. I'm making up for lost time this fall and can't wait.

I'm going to try some different ammo...one more time, and if that doesn't work, I'm going to get a nice leupold rimfire scope.

semper fi