Thread: Forty Mile Caribou

Default Forty Mile Caribou

Lookin at takin the wife up there on Dec 2nd. This would be her first big game (if she takes one). She's moose hunted with me lately and is my new hunting partner (dad passed away). This has been a rough year so I'm lookin at getting her and I out and about and figured this would be a good opportunity. I'm familiar with the area as I hunt moose around there.

Wondering if I need to bring the snowmachines or just take the 4x4 truck.

At this rate a snowmachine wouldnt do much good! ATV may be better. Sure hope we get some snow.

I know a few guys who hunt up off the steese in the Dec. hunt. They usually take snowmachines. Then again sometimes you hear about the massacre right off the road.

Take, it. You won't need it. Leave it at home and you'll need it for sure!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Meat

How is the meat on December caribou?

Never ate one myself. I've heard they can go either way.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default hmm

A snowmachine wouldn't hurt. We took one up there last year, but didn't end up needing it. Shot a bou right after it crossed the road in front of us. I'd say take it up just in case you need it. It was hit and miss last year. We went up on the 1st and didn't see any near the road. A snowmachine would have done us good. Came back the next weekend with a snowmachine and shot one off the road. Hit and miss. The meat was excellent. I did shoot a cow though, if that makes a difference. Great hunt, especially for first time hunters.

Default Ask me after Thanksgiving

Right now, atv's would be best, but ask me after Thanksgiving, and I'll tell you. Been up there two weekends in a row. Not enough snow for snowmachines, unless you don't mind tearing the crap out of them!

Default non resident

Can non resident military get tags for them in dec? I have read through the regs, but dont fully understand them yet? Would like to archery or rifle hunt them.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page