Thread: Black Tail Calls

Default Black Tail Calls

Whats the best call for blacktails in Kodiak?

Default Hornady makes a good one

In .308 light magnum 150 gr. interlock. This has got me closer to more of them than any other call.

we hunt blacktail here on vancouver island and I prefer the primos estrus bleet can. its important to use the smaller cans and calls for smaller deer. A grunt tube designed for a muley buck will send a smaller deer running

Default deer calls

I use an elk diaphram call. The sound I make is more like a rabbit in distress sound then a fawn bleat but it works.

I don't know about Kodiak, but on Admiralty, I use two 4 inch whittled sticks and a rubber band stretched between them like a blade of grass. Makes a good doe bleet and it's worked fine for me.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Quote Originally Posted by ksbha4 View Post
    I don't know about Kodiak, but on Admiralty, I use two 4 inch whittled sticks and a rubber band stretched between them like a blade of grass. Makes a good doe bleet and it's worked fine for me.

yup

or a piece of flagging works well.

Rattling in late season sometimes brings a leery buck into the muskeg.

Talking lol

I usally just walk around in the woods wearing a loin cloth and carrying a pipewrench yelling come and get it

Default Help

RIGHT-ON TO YOU!

Fullcurl, blacktailfever, ksbha4, and icb12!

That's the kind of help I was looking for! Getting long on tooth and white on top these days, but I'll be on Raspberry Is. in October hoping to nail a couple bucks!
    Been living in Alaska 36 years and never had a chance to hunt blacktails, but 45 years ago I hunted them in the Pacific North West; stalk and shoot, I never tried calling. Sweetest tasting meat I've ever tried!
    My younger brother, another grey top will come up from outside to hunt with me. Hope I've still got the uphill hike I used to have!
    I've got a Sceery A-2 that was given to me by an old logger friend from Afognak.
    Any tips on the actual calling method?

Have yet to see anything that will outcall the Hank Masters call.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    I usally just walk around in the woods wearing a loin cloth and carrying a pipewrench yelling come and get it
    That was YOU!?
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Quote Originally Posted by otterbfishin View Post
    RIGHT-ON TO YOU!

Fullcurl, blacktailfever, ksbha4, and icb12!

That's the kind of help I was looking for! Getting long on tooth and white on top these days, but I'll be on Raspberry Is. in October hoping to nail a couple bucks!
    Been living in Alaska 36 years and never had a chance to hunt blacktails, but 45 years ago I hunted them in the Pacific North West; stalk and shoot, I never tried calling. Sweetest tasting meat I've ever tried!
    My younger brother, another grey top will come up from outside to hunt with me. Hope I've still got the uphill hike I used to have!
    I've got a Sceery A-2 that was given to me by an old logger friend from Afognak.
    Any tips on the actual calling method?
    I usually call with a high decending pitch, maybe 3 sec long or so.