Thread: trailer for freighter

Default trailer for freighter

I will be purchasing a 21' hudson bay freighter,don't really like the idea of a regular boat trailer,Thought of a custom flat deck trailer with sides,that the freighter will just slip into.What do others use for their trailers?

thanks

I like the idea of a factory trailer for transport and ease of loading unloading and hull protection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I want something with a solid bottom and sides to protect from rock chips, and also to transport boat when loaded with moose.Do most leave their outboard on when transporting,say a 20hp?

I use a 2,000# capacity galvanized boat trailer and have extended the bunks.....I dislike small wheels on my trailers is the primary reason for the high capacity.....plus I move the axle back further so I need the extra capacity to prevent bending.....moving the axle rearward takes away some of that violent action that could throw your motor off IMO.....I usually take my motor off if trailering on rough roads such as the Alcan by Kluane.

I transport mine on an old single axle boat trailer with big tires. I agree I also hate small tires, they just see to beat up the wheel bearings. Most power boat trailers will be sprung to hard for a canoe so I removed a leaf to soften it a bit. Also the wheels are already quite far to the back to compensate for the heavy motors on a power boat. I use an electric trolling motor so I never transport it on the boat. Just my 2cents

Default flatbed trailer with astroturf

My 16' dual axle flatbed trailer hauls my Scott Albany just fine with a minimum of hang-off-the-back unless I'm also packing an ATV. The AstroTurf was cheap to buy and keeps it from scratching. Good ratcheting straps hold it well in place, and the rest of the flatbed is good for transporting my 15HP outboard, gas, field camp equipment to be packed on the boat and firewood.

Backing the flatbed to the water lets me slide it off one handed easily, then mount the motor (less easy) but it works well.

I like KK's trailer but wonder what I'd do with all the rest of the stuff since my truck bed is filled with camper; in the canoe? So I like my solution just fine.

Default 17' Osage

I put my Osage on the smallest EZ Loader trailer I could find that it would fit on. Its galvinized and it has tires that are normal boat trailer tires. I did put guides on it for launching the canoe in the rivers. The springs are a little stiff, but I pack all my gear in drybags, and load my gear and pull it down the road. It works great.

Alaskan100

The whole trailer thing made me crazy...having to license multiple trailers was making me ponder how to get the most for less.

I now use a 5x8 utility trailer (homebuilt) with a flatbed and heavy axels (a wood hauler with enough axel to handle my ARGO)

Length was the issue as there was no way to get the Grumman on it so...

I built an extension for the trailer tounge...a simple affair of square stock tubing with a 2" ball welded mid point and a plate welded to the back that clamps to the existing tounge with two bolts. Put a 2" ball hitch on the front of the stock and "viola"...a twenty foot long trailer that will haul a Grumman either top loaded (upside down over the box load of gear) or stripped to a flatbed with simple rails attached.

Multiple use, one title and tag cost. Hauls wood, snowmachine, ARGO or freighter canoe depending on set up.

My next project for the multi use trailer is a slip on camper unit along the lines of a Teardrop with stout enough racks to handle the Freighter on top.

I thinik I am pretty smart but my wife insists I am cheap.

My Best,

Scotty