Thread: new hunter

Default new hunter

i am new to fairbanks, i get back from iraq in sept. just wondering if i could get some ideas where and how to hunt with a bow for alaska's big game. i want to get a moose, bou, brown and black bear before i leave. i got about 2 years. any ideas?

Default Ideas

start reading the haul road thread and other posts about the dalton hiway!! Good hunt to start with for bou!

Default Ideas

Start by getting 2009/2010 Alaska hunting regulations and study them. I would first focus on the area you would like to hunt then look at the different seasons and bag limits, and whether or not it is a permit hunt.

If you are thinking about a Haul Road caribou hunt, that is in Unit 26 and is a bow only hunt. I don't recall if Unit 25 has a bow only area as well. Study the Haul Road Reporting thread.

In unit 20, black bear baiting started 5/15 and ended 6/30, though the black bear season is much longer.

For unit 20, regular harvest season for moose is generally 9/1 to 9/15 or 9/21 or there abouts, though there are some later in the year hunts as well.

I have no interest in brown bear so I am not knowledgable of that.

ill probably just hunt on base for black bear, brownies, and moose if i can. what towns is haul road and dalton highway hunts by?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey Bragg, The HAUL road is not really near any town... in fact is is about the middle of anywhere from them...

the haul road is the highway that connects Fairbanks to the North slope oil fields. it runs along side the pipeline. that starts off the north coast and ends in Valdez.

if your a serious bow hunter and have your Ibep . you can also hunt moose In the Fairbanks area. bow only hunt ( Fairbanks managment area unit 20B) it has a slightly longer season and can be quite exciting.

Interior bears can be difficult to hunt as the brush is so thick you really have limited chance to spot them.

good luck, welcome home soon

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

what unit would i consider for caribou as my best chance for getting one. i hear a lot about deadhorse and circle hot springs?

i will have to find out where the management area is at. im not to sure on all this.

Default Management Areas

what unit would i consider for caribou as my best chance for getting one. i hear a lot about deadhorse and circle hot springs?

i will have to find out where the management area is at. im not to sure on all this.
    You can download the 2009-2010 Hunting Regulations on the ADF&G Website. That's where I would start. Or you can wait until you get back and get a copy of the regs and any sports store. But I would highly recommend downloading them until you can pick up a hard copy. It has all the areas maped out.