Thread: Remote Winters

Default Remote Winters

Anyone live way out in the middle of nowhere (alone, away from anyone else)? What type of preparations do you need? Do you buy everything from the store and store it at your cabin? Do you fish/hunt for your food? Other than the cold, what specifics do you employ to keep yourself through the winter?

Joel - Are you thinking remote, but still on the road system, or are you thinking remote that you have to fly/boat into?

There are at least two forum members here that live a lifestyle similar to what you're referring to off the road system. I don't have personal experience with it, but I'll say from talking with these folks that it is a lifestyle that is learned over much time with considerable hardship in the process. One can't really give you a how-to list - at least not one that will cover what will work for you.

I see that you live in Dallas. If you're giving serious thought to such a situation, your best bet is to move up here. Find a small town that is still on the road system and try to rent a rustic cabin for a few winters (no electricity, no running water, but still on the road in case you find yourself in need of assistance). Live as self-sufficiently as you can for the first two years and figure out what is realistic and what adjustments to your plans you'll have to make. At that point you could start looking for remote land and dialing in exactly what area you'd like to be in.

Good luck with your plans. Alaska is full of dreamers, and lots have been able to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by JoelD311 View Post
    Anyone live way out in the middle of nowhere (alone, away from anyone else)? What type of preparations do you need? Do you buy everything from the store and store it at your cabin? Do you fish/hunt for your food? Other than the cold, what specifics do you employ to keep yourself through the winter?

Bushrat is the member you NEED to talk to in this case.

Ron

Brian M is on the money! A "Shakedown Cruise" is very important when living off the grid. I froze my rear off last winter. The two rule is a good start. Two of everything you need, twice as much as you plan, and two ways to get back to town. The two ways to get back to town was the only thing I got right and in fact had to use. Shelter, heat, food, and transportation should be in place for the entire winter before it begins. Believe me, things pop-up that city dwellers handle with ease and are minor inconvenciences, out in the sticks its a oh sh.. now what? I have also come to believe in the simpler the better rule. The colder it got the less modern equipment worked. Failures everywhere! There will be plenty to worry about even with the basics covered. LOL Did I mention fuel is king? Propane, wood, gas, diesel, heating oil, I love them all!

I'd say it takes a good 2 years to get used to living in Alaska, and thats just if you are moving from say a city to another city. Going from a city to the wilds, most folks can't make that change as they don't even know what they don't know.

It's not just cold in the winter, it's dark, and it's cold and dark for a long time. The only way to find out if its for you is to come up and find out.

There are those that come up, buy some land, build a farm and "live off the land" The ones that are succeful came up with enough money to afford the land, the tools, the building materials, and the food supplies to tide them over while they are building the cabin. I'd say a safe ball park figure to pull that off is $50,000. Less than that and you'll have to have a job to pay for those things, and with the job you won't have the time you need to build, and without housing you'll have to rent, which means less money for building.

There was an excellent thread on this subject in the cabin forum, well worth looking up.