Thread: What is your favorite Ice House?

Default What is your favorite Ice House?

I was just wondering what other alaskans prefer for a portable ice house. I am thinking of picking up a Eskimo Quickflip 2 from sporstmans. How about the best heater to use inside one. I have one of the single burner top mount mr. heaters on my propane tank. I didn't think it put out enough heat when it was below zero on big lake last year though. Thanks and good luck catching the big one.

Default Heaters

I used a couple of different types back in NY when the temps were above zero. Once it gets below zero any heater unless a magnum sized unit, is not going to be able to put out enough heat. You are at the point of diminising returns.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonMan View Post
    I was just wondering what other alaskans prefer for a portable ice house. I am thinking of picking up a Eskimo Quickflip 2 from sporstmans. How about the best heater to use inside one. I have one of the single burner top mount mr. heaters on my propane tank. I didn't think it put out enough heat when it was below zero on big lake last year though. Thanks and good luck catching the big one.
    I purchased the quick flip 3 from SW a few weeks ago. Its an awesome shack. Sets up in seconds and is super easy to move around. Also has plenty of room inside for 3 adults. My wife and 2 kids can fish out of it comfortably. Would definitely recomend it. I have the same heater you have along with a second Mr. Heater single burner heater/stove combo that uses the screw on bottles and with both of them it keeps it tollerable. I used those in a larger 4 person shack in South Dakota well below zero. Not toasty warm, but like I said, it was plenty tollerable. You guys dont seam to get the winds up here like we did in SD, so it should work well. While we are on this topic, I have only been here a few weeks so where is the best places to go close to Elmendorf?
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I have a two man Frabill Speed Shack. It is a really well built shack that is incredibly warm with the adition of a small coleman heater. A single person can set up this shack well under a minute without a problem. The design is very user friendly. Once the shack is setup the structure is easy to move around and mark for holes.

There are a few negatives. This shack drags like an anchor, and it is heavy. Due to the dragging difficulties I tend to leave the shack at home unless its severly cold or if women or children will be joining me on the lake. The bottom is made of a very thick plastic, and with snow on the bottom of the boots it is very slipperly. I have never slipped but my brother has eaten it a few times. I am sure some grip tape will solve that problem. With two fullsize adults in the shack it is quite the friendly atmosphere. Another 6 inches in width would have made the interior much more comfrotable.

The ease of setup makes this shack high on my scale, but is usually left home due to the weight. Would I buy it again? Yes, but I would take a serious look at the other options.

http://www.frabill.com/cgi-bin/frabill/6035?store=ice

Hers a link to the larger speed shack.

sportsmans warehouse has a quickfish 3 for $149 not sure how many left.

Default Thats the one!

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    sportsmans warehouse has a quickfish 3 for $149 not sure how many left.
    Yup, thats what I paid for it. A great deal for a very lightweight and easy to set up shack. Comes with a backpack bag/case.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Can't really tell you much on picking a shack other than do LOTS OF RESEARCH!. I bought a pop up last year from wally world for 130.00 and when I took it out of the back of my truck to use it this past year at -20 the windows cracked. What a %^%&%^$#. I took it back ang got my money refunded. Otter has some nice lodges and are manageblre to be pulled by a person. Just shop around. As far as heaters go, I have a Mr. Htr cooker/warmer with hose hooked up to a 20lb tank. It gets down right hot in my little sled shanty. I also have a friend who uses a Big Buddy, that works well too at minus temperatures which are normal for us here in the interior. We don't get a whole lot a above zero days here to fish until say March. Check out http://www.iceshanty.com go to forums and look under the equipment section. There is a lot of good info from a lot of diehard hardwater nuts in places that get cold like here.
    Good Luck

FF