Thread: Twenty mile run this am

Default Twenty mile run this am

High water and big rain drops..way too many to count. Didn't catch or see any sign of silvers @ any of my usual spots. Not even a dollie nibble. I like it up there so at any rate it beat cultural enlightenment via cable tv. Didn't appear as there was much happening @ Bird Creek either.

is this place the one near whittier portage glacier exit on seward hyw?

Yep.. Right hand turn out/parking immediately before the bridge. Beautiful valley up there...and skinny water.

what kind of salmon generally run up there? the same as bird creek? if the action is similar id rather hit up 20m since i live in whittier

Silvers, and you need a jetboat to access them

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Silvers, and you need a jetboat to access them
    I have been able to access them quite easily with an airboat.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I once heard of a flying saucer getting back there too

Flying saucers, air and jet boats seem to be the optimal choices. I go up in a 12' porta bote with a 6 hp kicker and a Mac's river runner skeg/prop guard. If you use a prop it better be on a very shallow draft boat and brace for those ugly noises and sudden stops. Don't forget to bring a couple oars along.

Default 20' Sportsman

How do you think a 20' sportsman with a 200 Merc sportjet would do on that river? I know how to read rivers pretty well, but never been on the 20 Mile.

Hey, if anyone wants any company, I've been in Anchorage 35 years and never fished up 20 mile...I'd love to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    How do you think a 20' sportsman with a 200 Merc sportjet would do on that river? I know how to read rivers pretty well, but never been on the 20 Mile.
    No problem I wouldn't even thing twice about it. Let us know how the fishing is.

Pay darn good attention during the first 5 miles. There are a few spots the water runs shallow with few errors to be had. Past that, it's cake until you hit the forks.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    No problem I wouldn't even thing twice about it. Let us know how the fishing is.

Default Tides

So, what affect do the tides have when running the river? Just hard to launching or loading the boat at low tides?

Default mid tide is easiest

high tide and low tide tend to be a pain to launch boats, high tide being the easier of the two in my opinion. High tide can also make reading the river for the first mile or so very difficult as it basically comes to a standstill and turns into a lake, often with wind waves that complicate further. Run it at low to mid tide the first time and you'll figure it out.

Just remember it's a small river and the sloughs are even smaller. So watch out for other boats on the river. I've had too many close calls with big inboards running downstream at 30mph on the back sloughs (particularly the first one on the south side).

Enjoy!