Thread: Snaring examples

Default Snaring examples

As I said in the snare making thread, snaring can be done in out of the way places around towns. Me and 2 or 3 others where I live, as well as guys in other western Alaska towns, have been doing it for several years.
    Anyway, here's a couple examples of what I do.
    First pic is a 4 wheeler trail in some tall brush. Fox use these trails regularly. This spot is the intersection of 2 trails, the trail where the snares are has been blocked at one end by a new gravel pad the city put in. No worries that some rider will use this trail.....hopefully.

I placed some willow branches in part of the trail to block off and fence the fox into the snare. The snares are marked with an X

Next shot shows another ATV trial set. This is a seldom used trail between 2 regularly used trails. I fenced part of this trail also. You can see to the left of the red X that this set made a catch. I often place a bait or stinky set somewhere near these places to attract the fox. In this pic, I placed some bait in some willows down this trail and had a snare at each end where the seldom used trail meets the regularly used one.

Snares are pretty selective in what they catch. An 8 in. loop, 8 in. off the ground will miss most husky size dogs. You can even use them to some extent to catch larger, or smaller, animals by adjusting the loop dia. and it's height off the ground. Male fox are generally larger than females, so by raising the loop an inch or so, you can miss the females (sometimes) and catch the males. Of course, if your trapping near humans, raising the loop may increase the liklihood of catching a dog.
    The foxes living near, or amongst humans are used to human/people smells, so they aren't as sensitive to scents around your set.

I would like to add that the fox in western Alaska do carry rabies. Not regularly, but it's present, and when their numbers are high, it is more prevalent. If you read the papers, you will often see that quarantines are occaisionally placed around a village if a rabid animal or pet is confirmed. I've also seen mange in western alaska foxes.Trapping/snaring is an economical way to control wild animal numbers. By allowing the public to trap/snare in or near towns, problems caused by wild animals can be lessened at no cost to the public. Hey..........maybe you could call what I'm doing an unofficial predator control plan.........haha!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

That is exactly what I'm doing right now. I caught my first one on an old 4 wheeler trail that is no longer used. I put 18 sets in on Saturday and on Sunday, this is what I had.

The snare was placed just to the right of where the fox is.

That is one nice looking fox, kusko. I see you hosted the pic on photobucket, what kind of cam are you using and what kind of photo program? Are you resizing?

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    That is one nice looking fox, kusko. I see you hosted the pic on photobucket, what kind of cam are you using and what kind of photo program? Are you resizing?

I have an Olympus FE-100. It's 4 megapixels. I use IPhoto to put them on the computer and then I just drag to the desktop and upload it to photobucket. No resizing at all.

Question New to trapping.

Would you mind explaining how to set the snare. I understand where to put them, but exactly how to set them up. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Default imauspilot, X= snare

Look at the previous post, Martintrapper clearly shows in his pictures. X markes the spot.

MT, THANK YOU! With this and your other post's, I think now I might try this! Between your other posts about trapping and snaring, now I'm excited. Gotta try it! Winter is here and there's no snow so going shoud be real easy. Thanks again.

Here's the last part. Use your snogo or 4 wheeler.............or even your truck, to make trails. The fox, and other critters, will use them.

great post mt that will help me and others new to this very much.