Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me choose a scope for my 375H&H

Question Please help me choose a scope for my 375H&H

I need help in choosing the right scope, and ring/mount combo for my Kimber Talkeetna rifle (375 H&H).

I think I know what I want, but wanted to bounce it off a few of you before I made the final decision.

I am thinking about going with the Leupold VX-2, 4-12x50. I know I know, it seems crazy to put a high power scope on a 375 H&H, but here is my thinking.

I would primarily only hunt moose with this gun. Most if not all of my moose are called in and shot inside of 100 yards. I really like having the scope power to do a final brow tine count just before pulling the trigger. I could carry the rifle with the scope on 4X for better FOV/shooting, and only turn it up for counting tines. I am planning to find the right Talley or Warne QD rings and mounts, so my thought is that if I ever do hunt bear with this gun I would have a second lower power scope that would just attach right to the existing mounts, also with the QDís I have the option to go open sights in close cover.

The eye relief on the 4-12 is the same as a 3-9, and only .1Ē less than a 2-7, so that shouldn't be an issue. Is there anything else about this choice I havenít considered?

I currently have a VX-2, 4-12x40 AO on my 300 win mag. While I like the high magnification, I really donít like the AO, so I will not be getting it on my new scope. I notice at 12x the gun is very wobbly and not steady. I know that this can be a result of the higher magnification, but it is about the same on 4x, so I just blamed it on how the guns fit / balance, which is not right for me, IMO.

Will I just be getting into the same situation again with the new rifle?

Anyone with advice for which rings/mounts to use?

I would like to hear your advice. I really donít want to make the wrong selection and end up doing it again, so I am listening. Let me hear it. If my thinking is way off base, I would like to know.

Thanks

Default Low power scope + Bino's

My suggestion would be to get a low power scope (I prefer 4x or less and don't forget peep/open), and a good pair of binoculars. The scope/sight is/should be just for shooting, and other observations should utilize optics designed for that purpose.
    The bino's can be with you even when you bring a different rifle or shotgun or at the range you're shooting a handgun.

That being said, if you insist on a high magnification scope, I would opt for something much better than VX-II. The more power the more important the lens quality and coatings become. Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, Leupold VX-3 or even better the Mark 4, Nikon Monarch. There are other high end scopes but these I have either owned or shot. Good luck but if you want high resolution and twilight capability it will not come cheap.

Ed

Default Burris 1.5-6 power x 40 Euro Diamond.

Big field of view (60 ft. @ 1x!) of the 30 mm tube, generous eye relief (over 4 inches) for the recoil of the 375, and usable magnification. Massive field of view on the lower end too. This is one tough scope with powerful recticle springs that are pushing 14 psi....twice the psi than what holds together other scopes including that vari x ll. this is perfect for your "big" rifle. This is the scope that will be going on my 9.3x62 cz 20 in. barreled carbine that is my "biggest" rifle. It will be my Brown Bear rifle for life. Good luck.

here is the link:

http://swfa.com/Burris-15-6x40-Euro-...ope-P2984.aspx

For many years I had a VX-III 2x8 on my .375H&H. It was an excellent choice, and it held up to the recoil of the old Brit without ever a problem, year after year. It would still be sitting on there now, but my wife wanted to get me something special for our anniversary a few years ago, so mine now wears a Swarovski.

Personally, I suggest that you spend the extra money for a VX-III rather than a II, and forget about the big objective. If you hunt alot or plan to, invest in a the best binoculars that you CAN'T afford right now. I use my 10x42's to count brow tine, not my scope.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    My suggestion would be to get a low power scope (I prefer 4x or less and don't forget peep/open), and a good pair of binoculars. The scope/sight is/should be just for shooting, and other observations should utilize optics designed for that purpose.

Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Personally, I suggest that you spend the extra money for a VX-III rather than a II, and forget about the big objective. If you hunt alot or plan to, invest in a the best binoculars that you CAN'T afford right now. I use my 10x42's to count brow tine, not my scope.

Doc
    OK OK, you guys are helping. To be clear, I hunt alot and by no means am I a rookie when it comes to shooting moose.

I agree with the comments about using my 10x42s to count brow tines. It just seems like often it is more convenient to just raise the rifle once, count tines, and then shoot. I'm not saying it cant be done the other way, it's just a personal preference for me to do it that way. (don't really want to start that debate though) More often than not I have called a moose in to me, so I try to limit my movements and avoid spooking him.

I am hearing what your saying though. It may be stupid to put the VX 2 on this rifle, and that's the kind of info I'm seeking.

Keep it coming, this is good stuff. Thanks to those who replied.

I replaced my Burris 1.75X6 with a Leupold 1.75X6 Vari X III. My Burris failed on a moose hunt long ago. I have been very happy with the Leupold and do not need more than 6 power magnification for moose hunting. I like the lower power magification in case I run into a brown bear at close range.

I am super happy with the Leupold Euro model 3x9 with a 30mm tube and the German #4 crosshairs. It really gathers a lot of light and is super clear.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

+1 on the binnos and spotting scope for field judging. I think the big objective and magnification have no bussiness on a .375, but that's just me. I shot an impala at 300 yards with my H&H on 6X with no problem. If you get a 1.75-6, 2-7, or 3-9 you'll be fine. Any other "need" beyond these magnifications is perceived and not real. I would also reccomend forgeting the VX2 and go with either a Leupold European in 2-7 or 3-9 or a Leupold VX3 with 1.75-6 or 2.5-8. The 1.75-6 was a great scope for me on my H&H. Both the Euro and VX3 have much better coatings and therefore have better light transmision. I just sold my H&H and I'm going to replace it with a Ruger. I'm either getting a Leupold European 1.25-4 or a 2-7, but I'm leaning toward the 2-7.

Brett

Would the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10 be a good compromise, or is that still too much?

I am seeing a trend here, I think I will be glad I asked these questions.

Not necesarily. The .375 is a bonified dangerous game calibre. If you choose to some day use it as such I would highly recommend something smaller or at least with a smaller lower magnification. The other issue is running into moose a point blank range or large toothy brown animals at point blank range and only seeing brown fur in your scope. I think a 2 or 3 would be a good maximum for the minimum magnification. 1 or 1.5 is even better. Ideally I want more magnification than 4 or 5 at the top end, so I compromise to a 2-7. If Leupold made a 1-8 I'd give it the nod in a heart beat.

Brett

Leu 1.75-6 is a top choice as were the older Swarovskis (1.25-4). The new Swarovski Z6 1.7-10 may be an answer to what you want to do. The Trijicon 1-4x24 with its 30mm tube is becoming a favorite and we cant keep them in stock. they go so fast. Avoid Burris, horrible customer service, on par with beretta which is pathetic although at least Beretta will fix the problem.

I do have the Leu. 3.5-10x40 and while its a great scope on my .308 I don't think I'd suggest it for what you're doing with your .375. The FOV is pretty small even at 3.5x.

My .375 had a 1.75-5x32 and it was just perfect IMHO for the caliber and what the rifle was used for. Others have mentioned a 1.75-6x as well as 1.5-6x and 1-4x. All great choices for the type of shooting you're looking to do and well matched for a .375. Really with a good 1.5-6x40 there's nothing you'll add with more magnification except fudge factor and gun weight.

Unless I'm hunting wide open tundra I like the scope to have a 1.something power for bayonet range or hitting something again before it disappears into the brush.

As others have said- put money into binos for tine counting.

If I was setting up a new .375 I would buy a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 and mount it with Tally one piece rings and bases.

Just my two cents

You may want to look into the new 6500 series scopes from bushnell. I am not a huge bushnell fan, but they are all 6X magnification- in other words, there is a 1.25X8, 2.5X16, and 4.5X30 with the 1.25X8 being my choice for flexability. Burris also makes a 2X12 also.

I have always been a fixed 4 man myself but I just recently aquired a Leupold VX-III in the 1.5-5 x 20 offering, and I cant say enough good about it. I have it mounted on my 458 and it is my idea of perfection for a big bore scope. I also like the straight tube scopes for the way they look, just personal preference. By the way this thing has a massive FOV in the lower power range and thats where I keep it set at unless a longer shot presents itself.
    I know that my opinion is pretty biased, based on what I just told you, but I think one of them would look awsome on top of your rifle.

P.S. dang I just reread that and think I'll call Leupold to try to get and advertising gig

Default VX II-2x7

I have a VX II- 2x7 on mine and it works very well. Remember PBR on your choice and find one that fits your shooting.

Good Luck

Ron

Default Ordering today.

I need to order today, so If you guys are up to it I need some more help.

Most of you have suggested the lower power scopes and I am going to heed your advice for the most part. After reading your suggestions I remembered why I bought this gun in the first place. Last fall I was charged by a grizz and had to shoot him @ 12yds. It scared the you know what out of me so I bought a bigger gun in case it ever happens again.

While I was able to acquire the bear @ 12 yds, on 4x it wasnít ideal, so why would I get into the same situation with only a bigger gun this time.

That being said I am going to go with the Leupold VX-3 in 2.5-8. Thatís about as low as I'm willing to go, but I havenít ordered just yet so if anyone has a good reason for me to reconsider that option, I am still listening. Going once!!

Now on to the rings and mounts. I will order online today so I can get Cabelas shipping deal, and because I have some gift certificates to use up, plus I'm not counting on SW having what I need in stock when I get there.

Normally I would go to the gun store to select the scope and rings/mounts, but I am on the slope for another week and would like to have it all delivered by the time I get home.

I have been looking at the Warne 2 piece mounts and the 1" QD rings. What are the pros and cons to the Warn 2 piece vs. the Tally one piece?

I have gathered from my research that the Warne low rings and mounts should work on my gun.

What are the considerations in selecting rings and mounts, am I on the right track with the Warne setup?

I have to apologize for all the questions, but itís been over 10 years since I scoped a new rifle, so I am very rusty.

Are the low rings and mounts ok or should I order med, high?

Without being able to look through the 2.5-8 36 I donít know the difference in light gathering capabilities of the 36 vs. 40 mm objective that I am accustomed to.

Is the 36mm enough?

Anybody feel like chatting on the phone rather than typing it all out PM me your #, and Iíll give you a call back.

Thank you very much for all the responses. I really do appreciate the help.

"That being said I am going to go with the Leupold VX-3 in 2.5-8. Thatís about as low as I'm willing to go, but I havenít ordered just yet so if anyone has a good reason for me to reconsider that option, I am still listening. Going once!!"

For what you are doing that sounds like a reasonable choice. I would prabably already own one of these if it were in a 30mm tube, so I went with a Euro. Looks good!

"I have been looking at the Warne 2 piece mounts and the 1" QD rings. What are the pros and cons to the Warn 2 piece vs. the Tally one piece?

I have gathered from my research that the Warne low rings and mounts should work on my gun.

What are the considerations in selecting rings and mounts, am I on the right track with the Warne setup?

I have to apologize for all the questions, but it’s been over 10 years since I scoped a new rifle, so I am very rusty.

Are the low rings and mounts ok or should I order med, high?"

I own the Warne 2 piece and have no problems. I would hesitate on the one piece. I'm not sure about the rail going over the ejection/feeding port. If I'm in a hury to reload the last thing I need is a rail taking up space. That said I haven't seen one mounted, so it may be out of the way and not an issue. Mount the scope as low as you can! There's no reason to mount it high. Low scopes = fast target acquisition end of story. If it will mount on low rings buy low.

Brett

"Without being able to look through the 2.5-8 36 I donít know the difference in light gathering capabilities of the 36 vs. 40 mm objective that I am accustomed to.

Is the 36mm enough?"

Yes. The vx3s have quality glass and coatings. An extra 4mm isn't going to make a practical difference. Now a 40mm Swarovski or Schmidt & Bender yes due to the better glass and coatings, but not a 40mm VX3. the smaller the bell the less it weighs and the lower you can mount the scope to the barrel = faster target acquisition.

Brett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast