Thread: Coleman Scanoe Gunnel.

Default Coleman Scanoe Gunnel.

I've been lurking around here for a while and this seems like a great forum with a great bunch of members!

I have a scanoe with a crack in it. Following this forums advice I welded the crack and it worked great!
    Thank you,
    By the way I cut strips off those silly plastic covers at the ends of the boat to use a welding rods, it worked great!

The problem I have is one of the cracks originated from under the aluminum gunnel and I removed the gunnel to weld it. Now I have no idea how the get that aluminum extrusion back on. I had to take it off witha a mallet, I should have known better but I still did it. I mean between the compound curve shape and the tight friction fit I'm at my witts end here.

Any thoughts or similar situations?

Bob

I have repaired a similar situation on one of my coleman's. I used a screwdriver to widen out the area on the gunnel piece, sanded the repair down as well and close as I dared, and utilized a dead blow hammer to get it back into place. If you don't have a dead blow, a chunk of 2x4 and a small 3lb mallet will get the job done as well.

Good luck

That was the direction I was heading in, I just wasn't sure if I dare tease the opening larger or not. I was also thinking of heating the edge to soften it, no make it more flexible, before I coaxed the gunnel on. It does seem that the bolts would pull the gunnel back together and hold it tight. I have sanded the weld back to the original thickness so I don't think that will be a problem. It sure looks like a two man job thought!
    Thanks, Bob