Thread: Crow Pass level ?

Default Crow Pass level ?

Hi, anyone do the race this weekend? What's the river level like? I called the ranger station & she read me the info sheet.

Curious if it's still super high AND about how much overflow comes after the river. I know sometimes it can be wet for a very long time...

Thanks

i'm 6'2" and the river was about upper thigh right after you get in. there are two deeper channels with a shallower bar in between, but the first part is the deepest. as for overflow, there are two or three smaller channels to cross right after the main section, depending on where you go, but nothing too complicated. just cross from the main spot and head for the upper white post on the far side. after that the trail is dry for miles. overall it's in great shape.

Default Crow Pass River level

Yep! Did the race again, water level was right below the familly jewelz, lol. Mid-upper thigh on me. I guess last week when it was at it's crest (if you check the river guage level online) around July 8, the water was hip-bone high.

Make sure you go upstream to the designated crossing point and the river can be pretty insanely high, and still relatively safe to cross.

-Chris

Default Crow Pass

Had an interesting hike at Crow Pass today. Started at Girdwood, got about 1-2 miles from Eagle River, ran into 2 huge bull moose (50+plus) on the trail. They wouldn't move for nothing, we waited an hour with screaming, yelling, clapping, everything you can imagine. We pushed em down the trail a bit, but not enough to get by. Didn't feel like bushwacking, not to mention it was wet, VERY windy (we had to hit the deck a few times to avoid being blown off right the mountain by the snow patch crossings) and we were in shorts and t-shirts, lol not exactly prepared to sit and wait all day.
    We actually thought we pushed the moose way off the trail at first, until we continued walking through the alders and my bro in front of me says "oh crap, theres one right there!" He was about 6-7 yards away from us, just on the other side of the alder bush, standing at staring directly at us. We hightailed it out of there, they wouldn't move for nothing. I'm counting my blessings, later we realized we were inbetween the two bulls, probably 10-20 yards from the 2nd one. That situation could have gotten ugly.
    Any suggestions on how to make them move, or get by them in the future? We had pepper spray, no gun.
    Again, this was about 1 mile before you drop down the pass to Eagle River.

Default Met those moose several times

I've met up those 2 moose several times crossing the trail. They are so use to people on the trail that THEY DON'T MOVE! One time I tried a firecracker, but they didn't move. Each time, I had to bushwack around them. Good Luck!

Default Current Level

Friday evening, the water level at the crossing was above the knee.

Default time of day

does time of day effect the level? We are going on saturday and spending the night and coming out on sunday - - coming in from the girdwood side.

This is our first time backpacking in alaska....hopefully it doesn't rain the whole weekend.

definitely, especially on a hot day. generally the best time to cross is early in the morning, when the water will be lowest after the cool night. worst is mid- to late afternoon and into the evening. i'd say go as far as you want, camp, and cross the next morning.