Thread: Question

Default Question

I just bought a Marlin 1895GS while home on leave. It does not eject non-fired rounds (unloading). The bolt will not retract for enough when a round is in the camber. When the chamber is empty, it retracts all the way however. I took it apart (all the way) and cleaned it a couple of times, but it still will not unload. I had to disassemble just to unload it. It will eject spent brass, so I didn't catch the issue until too late to get it back to the dealer or a smith. The bolt will not retract fully, no matter the amount of force (in reason) applied to the lever. I thought it might just be because it is new, but I put some pretty good force on it and it is more than just a tight fit. Does anyone have any ideas? I am back in the Middle East, so I can't do anything about it, but would love to hear reasons for this. I know Marlin will fix it, but I would rather take care of it myself or locally to really understand the issue. By the way, this happened before I took it apart the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    I just bought a Marlin 1895GS while home on leave. It does not eject non-fired rounds (unloading). The bolt will not retract for enough when a round is in the camber. When the chamber is empty, it retracts all the way however. I took it apart (all the way) and cleaned it a couple of times, but it still will not unload. I had to disassemble just to unload it. It will eject spent brass, so I didn't catch the issue until too late to get it back to the dealer or a smith. The bolt will not retract fully, no matter the amount of force (in reason) applied to the lever. I thought it might just be because it is new, but I put some pretty good force on it and it is more than just a tight fit. Does anyone have any ideas? I am back in the Middle East, so I can't do anything about it, but would love to hear reasons for this. I know Marlin will fix it, but I would rather take care of it myself or locally to really understand the issue. By the way, this happened before I took it apart the first time.

You better delete this thread before the Marlin Purists get yah!.......I better go double check my BLR

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Not enough clues. Does it do it with all ammo, or just one variety?

Default What ammo?

The one thing I know will cause an 1895 to hang up is overall length of the loaded cartridge and bullet shape. Is this factory ammo or reloads? Usually the main problem is getting the loaded rounds to feed without jamming, not eject the loaded rounds. But, this might be the same factor.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    The one thing I know will cause an 1895 to hang up is overall length of the loaded cartridge and bullet shape. Is this factory ammo or reloads? Usually the main problem is getting the loaded rounds to feed without jamming, not eject the loaded rounds. But, this might be the same factor.
    This would be my guess also. I have even heard of some heavy bullet factory ammo having this issue.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Factory Federal ammo of a couple of weights. It is not an issue of cartridge length, the bolt gets stuck about 3/4 on an inch from its fully retracted position when it has a round. When unloaded, this does not happen. The only thing I can really guess at is that the extract lip has what looks like a defect. One end is closed. Now this could be normal as I don't have two to compair.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Shrop... Just have it shipped back to Marlin...it will be home before you are & all better. If you call them in advance. and have the missus pack it up... 44.00 at UPS on van horn.. will get it there 2nd day.

they took the 30/30 with zero problems and made it good as new... if nothing else they will send you a hole new rifle.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yup best to just send it home if its not opening all the way like that.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'll go out on a limb and venture a guess that perhaps a part was not machined correctly and is not allowing the bolt full range of travel.

Or there is interference of the mechanism by a part out of spec.

Hope to hear what it is so as not to waste my speculation .

Whatever the cause I would send it to Marlin at the first chance.

Vince, I am sure that you are right. I do that. Thanks for the responses all.

We had the same problem with my neighbor's stainless guide gun. I had to buff up the internal parts and change the latch work angle.
    Plus the Marlins are a touch picky about cartridge length. My 86 Winchesters will shoot much longer loads with no problems.

Wild West Guns in Anchorage can make that rifle run smooth.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

The Marlin will accept ammo in its magazine that it cannot cycle, because of excess length. But any round that will feed from the magazine to the chamber should eject. It is a simple fix and if you've had it apart your familiar with the part. You do not have to disassemble a Marlin to unload the magazine, I hope you know that. Just push the load gate in.

Also after you take out the one screw, the lever screw, remove the lever and then pull the bolt out the back. The little piece on the left side of the receiver (inside) that rides in a groove in the bolt and is fixed in a hole in the left receiver side is the ejector. Take it out and look closely. It has an ear sticking out about 1/8th inch from the front end, that is what the cartridge rim hits to flip it out when we cycle the bolt. The front flat thin tip of this ejector is sometimes too thick and it sticks up slightly and catches the rim of the cartridge. If you cycled the lever hard it will likely force the rim past this tip to the notch that is supposed to stop the cartridge travel and eject normally then. What I do with these is put a Bear Proof ejector from WWG in here to fix the problem. But a cheap and quick fix is to file or stone a bevel in that front tip of the ejector to allow the cartridge rim to slip past it to the ejector hump or notch or ear.? I can fix in the field in 5 minutes.

The Marlin is simple and rugged it is not a Swiss watch of precision.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Just push the load gate in.
    I bet he had 'one' that would not eject, and one on the loading arm under it so the action won’t close and the loading gate won’t open. I was in this same mess with a Marlin 44 that bent a cast bullet over on the end of the brass once and had to pull it all down in camp. Pulling it down with ammo in the way was also no fun as I remember!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Murphy I will take your advice when I get back. I might not have described the issue very well, but I could not remove the bolt. It was stuck fast. I tried ever thing short of vice grips and a four person pulling team. It stuck maybe 3/4 of an inch from its full retracted state so that the round was still in the barrel and secure in the bolt. The load gate did not work to release it. Only a few millimeters of the lead was even showing. When a round is not chambered, the bolt fully retracts. I am far from a gun smith (as you can tell by my explanation), so I will most likely have someone fix it for me. Thanks for the advice. I figured it was not a hard or expensive fix; I just didn’t want to break anything and make it worse.