Thread: Kevlar Winch Cable

Default Kevlar Winch Cable

Where can I find this, and what diameter would be recommended? It is a 2500 lb winch mounted on a Yamaha Grizzly 660.

I got tired of searching with Google and figured someone already has the answer and they would be willing to share! THANKS

Cabelas has this

About the best deal on synthetic cable (quality, not knock off) is at www.motoalliance.com

Thumbs up Syn. wench cable

[QUOTE=AKbarehunter;534867]Where can I find this, and what diameter would be recommended? It is a 2500 lb winch mounted on a Yamaha Grizzly 660.

Any of the ATV shops carry it. You want 3/16 50'. Same price as Cabelas with shipping.]

Almost any ATV shop will have a Warn kit with rope and a new fairlead (rollers) for right around $100.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My experience and that of some others I know is to stay away from roller fairleads if using synthetic. They have a tendancy to pinch the line when winching at angles. A good hawse fairlead will prevent this.

Well, it's the one Warn puts in their kits..we'll see how it goes.

Default AIH

Alaska Industrial Hardware usually caries 50 ' sections for about 70 bucks.

The two people I know that tried the AIH stuff had breakage problems. It may have been due to using their old roller fairlead though.

Aih here in Kenai sells the warn synthetic cables so I would assume those guys spooled the rope on without changing out their roller fairleads that are all chewed up from running the wire cables over it. If that is the case, the rope won't last long at all. The warn rope should not break.

I talked to my dealer friend last night. He says Warn ships the new fairleads for a reason. Chewed up old fairleads from your cable setup will kill the rope in short order.

Default winch rope

The name of the winch rope that is currently rated the best is AMSTEEL, thats the trade name it comes in blue or green. Rated higher than steel cable of the same diameter. Just google amsteel and you will get all kinds of hits, that stuff at AIH is crap, I know this cause my wife works at AIH.

For durability I'd stick with wire rope. Sure the strands do fray here and there, but for utility purpose you cant beat it. I've screwed up 2 synthetic ropes, in 1 summer, but using the same wire rope for the past year. Lots of winching in extreme, off trail rocky wooded areas, wire all the way.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default The THANK YOU

Indeed, a big THANK YOU for the input. The safety aspect of what happens when a steel cable snaps is what makes me learn toward the Amsteel. I guess I will put synthetic on one machine with a new Hawes Fairlead and leave the wire cable on the other machine. (Best of both worlds?)

Again thanks for the input. If Mr Shane Arnold who wrote the article about Amsteel cable is out there, please PM me.

They both have their place, indeed. I just seem to tear apart the syntetics. I would that is partly because I'm no sorts of follower, I make my own trails, sometimes that gets me in trouble LOL
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Amsteel is all motoalliance.com carries. There are now a few more colors but don't expect any color to last long as it does fade. My red rope is now kinda pink.

I'm with TWB...Wire is the way to go in my opinion. Seems to me that a good pair of gloves and traditional winch wire go for multiple seasons or longer. Plus cost effective to replace.

A couple of times during the season I un-roll my cable. Inspect it, re-roll it and give it a good coat of WD40.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c