Thread: Little big gun 458x2" (american)

Default Little big gun 458x2" (american)

I picked up a neat little rifle the other day. It is a Remington 660 that had been rebarreled to 458x2" American. Its basically a precurser to the 450 marlin. A 458 Win mag that was cut down to 2" to give ballistics of a hot loaded 45/70 for a bolt gun. I think it will be great for baited bear hunting and tight cover moose hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    I picked up a neat little rifle the other day. It is a Remington 660 that had been rebarreled to 458x2" American. Its basically a precurser to the 450 marlin. A 458 Win mag that was cut down to 2" to give ballistics of a hot loaded 45/70 for a bolt gun. I think it will be great for baited bear hunting and tight cover moose hunting.

I had one built up decades ago, and you're right on all counts. I still regret letting mine go. No reason for it "ballistically" speaking with the 450 around these days, but dang, is it ever a nice round. It was so far ahead of its time that it never caught on. I'd much rather have one in a small bolt like yours than a 450 or a hot loaded 45-70. Lots more versatile for my uses and carry. You're going to enjoy the heck out of it. Congratulations!

Very nice do it all gun. The little Remington were ahead of their time and if not for the dummy down in Texas that caused a death and blamed it on the gun I think Remington would have never stopped makeing them.

Boy, how I did like those little Remington rifles. I hade one in the 80's converted from a 350 Mag with 20" Hart barrel. It would push 350's to about 2000 fps but that is a lot of thump in such a small package.

That's a very nice looking gun there, have some fun with it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

TheBear78, BEAUTIFUL little rifle there. Gotta love those 600's and 660's!!!
    Did you pick that up form Gun Trader's on Muldoon? If so I eyeballed that same rifle for a while before I left.

Default obtw-

the original owner dropped off some more ammo--

I used to have a short Mexican Mauser in 458x2 inch American many years ago. It was a nice cartridge.

The 450 Marlin just changed the belt location so you can't chamber it into a 300 Win mag or something stupid like that.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com