Thread: help

Default help

I am going to be moving to the fairbanks area real soon. I am an avid hunter. I will be getting a lab pup the end of august. I would like to make this my hunting dog. can anyone help me get in touch with people that can help me train him?

www.iagda.org
    www.fairbanksretrieverclub.org
    Onlinelabs Retriever training-Steve Vires may still be here. 662-292-3535
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you for the links. i have e-mailed both and one replied and said that they start training in the spring. i have not heard from the other.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Getting info from clubs not easy

I don't know what it is but some clubs are hard to get any details out of them. I have that battle every month trying to populate a calendar. Jeesh. Formal club training starts in the spring but individuals group up and train all year doing something which is what you will need.
    The best move is to find out when their next club meeting is and go meet them. Hook up with someone who lives near you and train with them. You'll have to pay some dues (both $ and stand in a field throwing for hours) but you will learn a lot. Your new pup will get exposure.
    They are just finishing up the seasons hunt tests and field trials too so they may be harder to contact now. Then it will be hunting season. When you get your pup just play with him. Any general obedience puppy training will do. If you need help with that check into a basic obedience class when he is old enough. Get him out in public, socialized and by next spring when the formal club training starts you'll be ready.
    www.alaskadognews.com

Thank you for the advise. I guess i just need the small stuff first. have to wait and see.

ducksandbrew,

When you move to Fairbanks & get your new puppy, give a holler. Although FRC's classes won't start until next March, we'll have a potluck & meeting in October, and I (& others) would be happy to help you get your puppy started.

Karen

karen. that sound great. i will pick the pup up on the 28th of aug. we are already here. just trying to get settled in.