Thread: Firelapping???

Default Firelapping???

I have just read Marshall Stanton's book on firelapping and fine tuning cast boolits for each individual firearm. I know for a fact I have a muzzleloader and a pistol that need some tuning when I get home. Any thoughts, first hand experience, do's and donts on the subject?

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    I have just read Marshall Stanton's book on firelapping and fine tuning cast boolits for each individual firearm. I know for a fact I have a muzzleloader and a pistol that need some tuning when I get home. Any thoughts, first hand experience, do's and donts on the subject?
    I haven't tried it in a muzzleloader, though I know it's done fairly regularly. Only reason I haven't done it is the alternative. I use a piece of Scotch green dish scrubbing pad on a jag and lots of strokes in the bore for light polish of the rifling on a new bore. If I'm still getting cut patches, I'll go to a few strokes with 4/0 steel wool. Both of those are lots easier to do than fire lapping, and work well enough I haven't had to resort to the firelapping. I certainly would do so if the easier methods didn't work, so I've truly got no reservations about it. Just paint me lazy.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I do have some experience with the fire lapping, but please understand that it is still a work in progress and limited to only one particular firearm in one specific chambering.
    To make a long story short; I have a Marlin 375 that would not shoot. At least it wouldn’t shoot accurately… after trying 4 different jacket bullets, and 3 different cast bullets, each sized up incrementally over 4 or so different trials, and 5 different powder combinations, multiple primers etc. the BEST 5 shot group I ever got was 4 inches at 50 yards…. Double that at 100 yards. Were I come from, we call that crappy.
    As a last resort, I purchased a fire lapping kit and impregnated 20 cast bullets with the coarsest grit, and 10 each with the finer grits. Note that each bullet was sized and lubed before the grit was rolled on. I loaded each over a reduced load of unique. I fired all 50 rounds, cleaning between every two shots.
    Subsequent accuracy has improved substantially, with 5 shot 50 yard groups in the 2 inch range, and 100 yard groups running right at 4 inches. This is a huge improvement, but still not stellar accuracy by any standard.
    Now I need to decide whether to shoot another round of fire lapping in the hopes of realizing further improvement in accuracy, or calling it good where it is…. Obviously fire lapping is a process that removes material from the inside of the barrel, and it figures that you can over do it, but finding what point the diminishing returns ends, and irreparable damage begins is anyone’s guess.
    I will likely do some additional fire lapping, but I suggest that you proceed with caution. Go slow, check often. But so far, from my limited experience, it really does seem to work.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio