Thread: Gulkana Salmon Run first week of August???

Default Gulkana Salmon Run first week of August???

Anyone have information regarding salmon runs that first week of August on the Gulkana? Is a decent run is projected or is that timeframe typically very poor for salmon fishing? I've searched numerous sites but not able to get any information/predictions.

Thank you for your help.

I just finished a 5 day float of the Gulkana from Paxson to Sourdough. Very few kings in the system and fewer schools of reds than last year. The grayling fishing was outstanding and the rainbow fishing good in the upper part of the river. The water is a bit lower and warmer than last year.

Here is a link for a fishing report. http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Fishi...il/area_key/33

Default Thank you Birdstrike and Brian T

I appreciate you taking the time to reply in detail with very useful informatoin, Birdstrike.

Brian T, thanks for the link.

Default Later in August

2nd run of Sockeye run from Mid August - Early Sept. I have fished them as late as the 20th of Sept. Do not expect Kenai numbers but more than fishable. Lot less people for the most part becuase Hunting season is in full swing and most everyone has already taken enough fish for the most part.

IMO I would visit between the 8-20 of August.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes

Blue Moose

Bluemoose, thanks very much for the information. Unfortunately, this timeframe is set in stone. Darn it, we'd love to change it to the timeframe you recommend.

For spin-fishing for trout and grayling (and if we get lucky and run in to some salmon) can you suggest lure size/type/color, etc? I know it's single hook/no bait.

Thank you.

Default Well?

Being that the numbers of Trout and or Grayling are somewhat low in the part of the river your mostly searching for a needle in a haystack to be honest. Fish all the normal trou holding water i.e. behind salmon and normal rvier structure.

When we float it in the early summer we do have some luck fishing standard size 2 and 3 Mepps, Roster tails, Panther Martins etc... Silver and Copper on the Meps, solid Black or Solid White on the Rooster Tails, Gold on the Panther Martins above the Bridge.

Biggest Bow I think I have seen down there hooked is about 23-25 inches and that is not the norm. There will be additional Bows following the salmon so you might have some fun. Very limited realistic Grayling fishing IMO expect fish to run on the small side i.e. 8-12 inches when you find them. Same with the Bows that time of year 12-16 inches.

The Salmon are easy they are either in or their not and if they are go with a standard Russian River Coho Fly with one weight 18 inches above the hook. Remember Reds run in shallow water close to the bank for the most part so no need to wade deep and drive the fish further out into the current.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes.

Blue Moose

Default Thanks BlueMoose!

Very useful information. I truly appreciate your time!
    Thank you.