Thread: Gearing up new 4-wheeler for hunting

Default Gearing up new 4-wheeler for hunting

Hi,

I recently purchased my first 4-wheeler. I plan to use it mostly for hunting. What kinds of things/tools should I get to have with me when I am out. I already purchased a tire pump, plug kit, can of fix a flat, and a gun boot.

Any comments/thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Default 4 Wheeler

What type and size did you get? That might determine what you will be able to carry.
    Did you get it with a winch, hand/thumb warmer? What tires does i t have on it?

Alaska Industrial Hardware has rolls of tough cellophane that work better than tie downs or bungie cords.

Basically you lay gear on your racks and wrap the heck out of it. Water tight and holds anything onto your racks.

Bought a roll 2 years ago for $15 and still have half of it.

Default atv

KingQuad 450
    Winch installed
    Stock Tires. Thought of putting on larger ones, but I want the option of hunting the Ferry Trail.
    No thumb/handwarmers.

1. Gun Boot (I highly recommend the 6.0 with the removable soft case).

2. Hand warmers. When it's 36 degrees and raining, you will want these bad!

3. Luggage (Plastic storage bins). Either the expensive type that bolt on to the racks, or just sturdy universal bins. Wal Mart has some good ones for $25.

4. Fix a flat. VERY important. Imagine being 30 miles from a paved road and getting a flat.

5. Small 12v cigarette powered air compressor.

6. Small anchor (if you're ever alone and plan on going into really muddy places without good trees to winch from). Cabelas sells one specifically for ATVs.

7. Small shovel.

8. Chainsaw.

9. Good GPS (the Garmin Oregon 400T is $400 at Costco). Get ANY GPS if you don't want to get an expensive one now. Nothing sucks worse than being lost.

10. Extra gas can(s). You want to keep your center of gravity low. The flat ones specifically for ATVs are really nice in that regard, but they're very spendy compared to a normal 5gal gas can.

11. ATV meat wagon. Fred Meyer has the best deal going. $400 for a nice, simple sturdy wagon with big ATV tires.

That should get you started!

Wink ADD/remove my .02

Gun Boot (I highly recommend the 6.0 with the removable soft case).

Hand warmers.,thumb to !!!! When it's 36 degrees and raining/ hail/where did that snow come from... you will need these.
    A fender bag or 2..
    NO.. Luggage (Plastic storage bins). if u ever had a "frim/mounted box get u in the back on a rough trail u have not lived.. i use water proof duffle bags like the float hunters use..

Fix a flat.. some after market tires are so tough u cant tell there flat
    Chainsaw/i now use a good machie with a saw blade on the back side/depends upon the trip.

Good GPS (the Garmin Oregon 400T is $400 at Costco). Get ANY GPS if you don't want to get an expensive one now LEARN how to use it!! Nothing sucks worse than being lost. some super velco on the "tank" between u and the steering wheel will keep it handie.

Extra gas can(s). You want to keep your center of gravity low. The flat ones ,they're spendy compared to a normal 5gal gas can.

ATV meat wagon. Fred Meyer has the best deal going. $400 for a nice, simple sturdy wagon with big ATV tires.

"Thought of putting on larger ones" NOT larger get more AGGRESSIVE/real tires ... there is a thread that stated "the 4 or 5 atv" must haves check it out ....i will see if i can find it..
    Last edited by atvalaska; 07-19-2009 at 10:59. Reason: spill"in :)
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Things you need

IMO the number one thing you need is a buddy. Most of the safety items that have been listed are great, but not as necessary if you have a buddy with a wheeler joining you.

With that said I'd go with what you've been told so far and add;

Tow ropes (at least 200 ft)
    JB weld
    Duct tape

Not much can't be fixed with some JB weld (or similar product) and/ or duct tape.

Never go alone. A small danforf type boat anchor is your best freind when in a swamp stuck out of reach of any trees. Aftermarket tires are basically the difference you have now between 2wheel drive and 4wheel drive. Yes, they do make that big of a difference. Like was also said, most agressive mud tires have a much stiffer sidewall and even with zero air in them, you can limp them home. The thing I will add to the list others have not is a set of "hippo hands". They go by many different names, but they are the insulated guanlets that cover your hands on the handle bars. All the irondoggers now run those on their sleds, turn the handwarmers on, and can race in subzero temps with just a pair of mechanics gloves on. You hands will freeze in 30 something degree weather and rain. In those, you will be toasty warm. Have fun....Did I say don't go out alone?