Thread: All Varget users- Powder Color?

Default All Varget users- Powder Color?

Hello, picked up a pound (lucky one) From boondocks,,,,,,,I have not loaded varget. The powder has a very brown look to it, some of the pieces I would call tan.

It was sealed, purchased 3 days ago, is this something thypical for varget, I've never reloaded it, I was wondering if it has a different color.

Compared to ALL my other powders, it just looks different, everything else has that nice grey tone to it,,,,

Thoughts?

Default It's good...

That's the color of Varget...it's not grey. I'm still waiting on some from Boondocks. That one has been hard to get.

Doc

Mine has a green hue to it. Not able to call it brown or gray. I did pass my color blind test every year for the last 21 if that helps.

Yep, dull green color...

Scott
    He who tries to tread on me
    will find himself in misery
    and this I promise faithfully
    upon my fathers name

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Mine has a green hue to it. Not able to call it brown or gray. I did pass my color blind test every year for the last 21 if that helps.
    Varget, H322, and H4895 are greenish H4895 is longer and smaller in dia and fits in cases better than vargets short but larger dia. H322 same greenish hue short and small dia. All just visual clues.

I would call Hodgdons 1-800-number and ask them and give the lot number.

AA2498 is black/dark gray cylindrical, TAC Black spierial/flake, Lilgun Black/gray spierical, AA1680 black spierical,

Default Not color alone

gives an inmdication of bad powder. usually caused by poor storage conditions, bad powder has a sour smell you can't miss. Way different from fresh powder.
    Years ago when I was commercially reloading, a guy called and asked if I would trade a large metal can of powder for 100 .38 Special loads. I told him to bring it over. It turned out to be an large can of Bullseye his brother had left with him amongst some other gun gear. The guy wasn't sure how to safely store it, so he punched can opener holes all around the top and stashed it under the front porch steps. It had been there for several years. Rust red and smelly. I gave him the ammo anyway.

Thumbs up

Yep it is fine .
    I have a couple almost empty 1 pound cans that have the hue color and i have two 8 pound jugs that are the same color .
    Good stuff for them big bore's !!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

I know it's green, my response was to other posters about their powder being tan, brown or gray.