Thread: Can you?

Default Can you?

Are you allowed to fish the Matanuska River?????
    I have never seen anybody there.

Default Maybe.....

One of the locals from Sutton once told me of people snagging them out of there with rope and huge treble hooks. He claims that there's not alot, but they're supposedly very large. I don't know whether or not it's true.

Guys,

I can see a wet-behind-the-ear newbie in theone2's posts. He may understand that asking these questions are not puzzling to us, but are curious to him. Give him the benefit of the doubt, instead of mentally heckling him by avoiding a reply.

Remember, we all had to learn somewhere, someplace. (I noticed that in my question about approaching the Li'l Su weir...yeah, "dumb question.")

Nate was recently inquiring about taken his sons out fishing. I would have loved to take him out to my honey hole here in Wasilla but held back. I did, however, mention if he wanted a trip here in Wasilla I'd oblige. Tell ya what....I'd take Nate and this man under my wings and show 'em how GREAT the trout fishing is here.

Yeah, honestly it's a good question, and I've thought about it before. Perhaps more then anything else keeping people from fishing in there is a simple lack of fish. I can't think of any major tributaries, and the few minor ones are primarily short, steep, glacier fed streams. Maybe the geography just isn't right for salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Yeah, honestly it's a good question, and I've thought about it before. Perhaps more then anything else keeping people from fishing in there is a simple lack of fish. I can't think of any major tributaries, and the few minor ones are primarily short, steep, glacier fed streams. Maybe the geography just isn't right for salmon.
    Ditto, Coho, all six foot five of ya! ....I must say though, around the Palmer area, the river makes excellent pictures!

I am a newbie to this forum but i am only 17 and looking for more fishing spots to get away from a lot of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post
    Ditto, Coho, all six foot five of ya! ....I must say though, around the Palmer area, the river makes excellent pictures!
    six foot five....I wish....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post
    Nate was recently inquiring about taken his sons out fishing. I would have loved to take him out to my honey hole here in Wasilla but held back. I did, however, mention if he wanted a trip here in Wasilla I'd oblige. Tell ya what....I'd take Nate and this man under my wings and show 'em how GREAT the trout fishing is here.

you know I only like them amberjacks that are in the Mat. River.

Default Moose Creek

I friend and I pack rafted moose creek from about as high as you can drive all the way to the Mat. There was some big kings all the way down that thing.

Good one, Nate!

Other replies:

This kid is 17 years old. Would ya rather have him fishing or cooking up a pot of Meth or burning cars in the Knik River area? If there are no fishing places one of us can share with him, guess he'd have to find a new hobby as I mentioned - ya know, dealing drugs or burning vehicles for fun!

I need to look up "Big Brothers/Big Sisters" up here in Alaska. This kid could be an orphan, ya know?

I apologize for getting defensive. I've worked for years as a community activist or as a non-paid volunteer for the poor.
    Sorry if my conjectures got the better of me. And I work with the disabled. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    six foot five....I wish....lol
    My fiancee thinks I'm "just fine."

OK kid here goes. The Matanuska is pretty dirty during most of the year so fishing is pretty hard. You can hike down to the mouth of a few clear water creeks and maybe get lucky. I have fished the Mat. in the fall and winter with little luck. It is closed to bait from Sept 1st till I think June 16th. Take a walk down Moose Creek to the mouth. Park in the old camp ground and walk down. You can catch Dollies on the way down and maybe this time of year get a silver. Leave the Kings alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd rather see the kid fishing then getting in trouble..........

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info.
    I already have some holes to keep me busy until i head down to kenai.

Dont worry, i dont do drugs.

Thumbs up

I don't recall the milepost, but right along the Glenn Hwy, before you get to King Mtn, there is a clear water creek, right beside the pullout. Shale cliff on one side of the road and the river on the other. Can't miss it. Loads of Silvers, Chums and Pinks go into it. You can catch them real easy. Lots of folks just pull over there and look at them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~