Thread: Dad's ol' guns

Default Dad's ol' guns

My dad would occassionally reminise about ol' times past when he lived up here in Alaska, this was way back in the 1960s. One day not too long ago he gave me an old photograph, he said son; this is the reason you are so interested in guns. Back in his day he owned a few of them and used 'em to provide food for the dinner table. Nowadays whenever he comes up to visit the family I would show him the rifles we own and he would look them over carefully while I describe each one in detail. Afterward he would start reminising about his life up here in Alaska when he was a young man and the many adventures he had hunting with my grandpa and uncles. He would always speak fondly about the rifles and shotguns he carried back in those days, there weren't many but he knew each one well.
    Interesting how firearms can be the focal point for many a conversation when the family gets together. These days even my son and daughters joins in the conversation and tell their grandfather about their rifles, shotguns and the hunting trips that they have been on. Firearms are a big part of our lives here in Alaska and have been an important part of our family's heritage, passed down from one generation to another, just like the hunting stories we tell to our sons and daughters. Some of the guns may no longer be with us but the stories about them last a lifetime.
    Last edited by Nukalpiaq; 08-02-2009 at 00:45.

spend each day with him like it going to be his last time with you..
    my dad pass away in the july of 2003 and i do miss him a lot at times
    my mom pass away in nov of 1980
    so i have been alone now for many years without my mom and dad and i do miss them every day..

my mom and dad give me rifles and shotguns that where in the family for years and they have been pass down to next people in line to hold onto them and put them up on the wall and tell the rich history of each of the weapons that we the family have carried over the years ..
    my duty pistol with it back up pistol and shotgun went to a younger person that just started out in law enforcement ..so she would have so thing to to start with ..
    i bought along on this trip diff rifles and shotguns to give to poeple in the family so they could have a piece of the family history ..

Great pic,who got the old Savage

If I remember correctly, he said the Savage was lost overboard out in the bay while he was trying to retrieve his Polaris Mustang snowmachine that was drifting out to sea on broken ice after a big tide.

Default Got yer scuba gear?

I'd LOVE to trade my cousin out of my Grand Dad's 99!!!
    What's weird is that those costumes and the geetar you got slung are likely worth as much as the Savage these days!!!

Here is another old photograph, probably taken sometime in the early 1900s when my Great Grandfather (my Granny's daddy) was a young reindeer herder. He is holding a firearm of some sort. My Granny said her father was raised with the Laplanders, and in turn raised his own family as herders too. She used to have her own reindeer team pulling her sleigh in the winter, she was also known as a good shot with a rifle and shotgun. The women folk in our family throughout each generation down to my girls all like to hunt and shoot firearms, musta started with my Granny.
    Last edited by Nukalpiaq; 08-02-2009 at 00:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    I'd LOVE to trade my cousin out of my Grand Dad's 99!!!
    What's weird is that those costumes and the geetar you got slung are likely worth as much as the Savage these days!!!
    Still kinda partial to cowboy hats and cowboy boots. Have a nice fur felt hanging on my hat rack, musta skipped a generation on the geetar though, my son and second daughter turned out to be the guitar players in the family. Back in Carolina during my early childhood we owned horses and rode often, most of the relatives owned them too. Miss those days sometimes.

Looks like you can see a lever on the rifle so it might be the 99

WOW Nuk, the pic of your great grandfather is a piece of priceless history, guard it well. Those old photos are so easy to damage.
    Great Photo, thanx for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Looks like you can see a lever on the rifle so it might be the 99
    You are right Amigo Will, it is a lever gun. Believe it is a Winchester though, if you increase the size of the photo there is a tubular magazine underneath the barrel, and you can almost make out the cocking hammer. When I was younger used to hear older folks talk about calibers like 25-35 and 32-20. Interesting thing about old rifles back in those days, when a hunter passed away they would hang his rifle on the grave marker. Burials were above ground back in those days, and everyone was instructed not to remove anything from any graves. My mother used to see these old grave sites when she was younger and she told me some of them used to have rifles hanging on them. She said one time a young man in the village took a rifle off one of the graves and when the Elders in the village found out about it they made him bring it back.

Nukalpiaq, Great pics and stories. Fascinating and priceless history. Thanks for sharing with us.

-MR

Very neat and interesting pics!