Thread: kodiak RD hunting pasageshak point RD

Default kodiak RD hunting pasageshak point RD

looking to go down to kodiak to do some deer hunting on my own. I was going to take the ferry to kodiak then take the road out of town found this road pasageshak Rd that goes down the est side of the island to the west. does any one know the condition of the road, can you drive a truck on it. What is the hunt like down their, as in are their any deer down their does it get a lot of hunting pressure.
    any info any body can ggive me on this area would be great
    Thanks

Default pasageshak

Don't forget your zodiak if you have one. there is some awesome fishing there too.

Louis

Default Wait for snow

I tried this a couple years ago. We took the ferry over from Homer and stayed in a hotel in Kodiak. Although we had a great time and experienced near perfect weather, We really needed more snow in the mountains to push the deer down. Most of the deer were high up. We could see them, but most efforts to get at them just pushed them back. My buddy did manage to get a nice buck, but that was the only animal harvested between three of us on a 4-day road hunt.

I would wait for a healthy dump of snow to help improve your odds for success!

We were there hunting goats last fall and saw a few does and fawns from the road, but that was it. We only saw one buck the whole trip, about 4-5 miles back in. The road is great to drive, a little slow going with some of the switchbacks though.

Personally, I wouldn't waste the money to go road hunting in Kodiak after what we saw, and heard from the locals about deer on the road system.

jerods right, it be more cost effective to save your money for a fly out for the deer, limited deer on the roadsystem these last couple years, you'll have fun, theres fox and some great fishing ifyou time it right, but deer will be ALOT of work...
    of course the only buck around might just walk in front of you on the road too....
    roads almost all paved now, but its the only road in kodiak...of course it gets alot of pressure!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I did a successful early season road system hunt a few years ago. It was, as mentioned by others, ALOT of work. But alot of fun too. Basically, we never even hunted along the road. We took our sheep hunting gear, parked in a gravel pit and then bushwacked up the mountain and spike camped above treeline. Saw dozens of deer (it was a good year) and nailed two bucks up in the rocks. Slide down off the mountain in the rain after two nights. Good trip all in all. Never saw another hunter. Fantastic views when the sun was out. Probably more work than most people are going to want to do for a deer, but not totally unreasonable.

The deer were all way up among the peaks, but the good news was that the bears were (mostly) down along the rivers.

Yk

Default Kodiak deer

BRWNBEAR AND JEROD ARE SPOT ON.
    I WAS THERE LAST YEAR DURING THE LAST COUPLE DAYS OF OCTOBER AND FIRST WEEK OF NOVEMBER HUNTING GOATS DOWN ON THE SOUTH END OF THE ISLANDS ROAD SYSTEM. WE WERE THERE 7 DAYS AND ONLY SAW 6 DEER TOTAL WITH ONE BEING A BUCK. WE SAW MORE GOATS THAN WE DID DEER. IF SHOOTING A BUCK IS NOT A PRIORITY AND MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE THEN GO. kODIAK IS A GREAT PLACE AND THE ROAD SYSTEM IS AN EASY DRIVE. BE CAREFUL TO STAY OFF THE NATIVE CORP LANDS. GOOD LUCK.

Default thanks for the info

thanks for all the info. I know that deer numbers are down with the big snow they got in march this year.
    would a fourwheeler be any extra help off of this road. hiking and using foot power are not any problem. how would i find out about were the native lands are. most of the mountains around pasageshak bay are no that big, the map shows most topping out at around 1500-2000ft for me that not not bad to climb.
    anyway that for the info
    cheers

remember, maps dont' show alders....
    Master guide 212

And devils club & salmonberry bushes!!!

and chest high grass half way up before it falls in late September or early October...

Those guys aren't lying, the issue isn't the elevation it's the brush. Ya got to be pretty bullheaded to make it up. And willing to risk life and limb coming back if the grass and leaves are wet, which they usually are on Kodiak. As I recall the first 800' of elevation gain took 5-6 hrs of brutal work. And coming back through that stretch took 4 hrs with a deer on my back.

But what the heck, if you really want to hunt Kodiak, that's the cheap way to do it. Just know what your getting into.

Yk

salmon berry's...ugh. i'll take the alders and devils club combined over those stupid bushes...did a goat hunt in them once, i fell over WITH A GOAT on my back and they held me off the ground...amidst the tears i had to chuckle...
    Master guide 212

Default Access

As already asked, does anyone know what parts of Pasagshak Rd. are legal to hike off of? There was lots of "ranch" land up there, is that legal to walk across? Couldn't tell from looking at it all last fall, not sure who to contact about that down there...

You can try the kodiak fish and game office or the Kodiak Cattle Co. who own alot of that land out there 907-486-3705. Good luck

I lived there in the early-mid eighties. There was a road called Saltery cove road. The road was a nightmare, but with the right truck, and the right operator, was do-able most of the time. Took you into some great country. I would check that out as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by SperBear View Post
    As already asked, does anyone know what parts of Pasagshak Rd. are legal to hike off of? There was lots of "ranch" land up there, is that legal to walk across? Couldn't tell from looking at it all last fall, not sure who to contact about that down there...
    As far as I know, you can go anywhere you want so long as you close the gates behind you and dont shoot the buffalo, At least that is what we have always done.