Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need 2-3 hardcore field testers for a custom "Alaskan Made" head lamp design.

Default I need 2-3 hardcore field testers for a custom "Alaskan Made" head lamp design.

The basis of this headlamp will be all about brute, overkill. All structural components will be made of aluminum and nytrolon.....not flimsy plastic. All adjustments will use actual hadware.....not mass produced plastic junk. This will be the kind of headlamp that will take a fall with you as you scrape your face across a granite ledge and the headlamp falls 50 ft. off a ravine......and still intact. Much of this headlamps "lighting system" will use READ........3VOLT Lithium BATTERIES not week double A's. Can you say cold weather performance? I'm taking matters into my own hands......I need your help. The Lighting System will also utilize Surefire LED compenents........anybody interested? You may end up owning (for free) a piece of Alaskan History for your much needed effort.
    Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 07-18-2009 at 12:29. Reason: forgot spell check.....in case sayak or mdhunter reads my post

Test one on the slope.

We are always trying new style headlamps up here for our field crews. Give me some details about them, they have to be tough, last in the cold, be lightweight, and fit over a hard hat.

If you have a good design, I may be able to sell a few for ya.

Default hmmm

what do i get if i break it
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I can give it a water test down in the Misty Fiords.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    Test one on the slope.

We are always trying new style headlamps up here for our field crews. Give me some details about them, they have to be tough, last in the cold, be lightweight, and fit over a hard hat.

x2, sign me up!

Default PM sent

....PM sent

would also be interested in your field testing, as in my job with the mat-su borough, and having my hands constantly full, light would be a blessing--in all weather day and night summer and winter.
    Rich
    I give thanks to the vetrans, as they have aided in my priviledge to hunt and fish the great State of AK. and alow me to sleep safely at night.

I'll try one out in the Interior mega cold if you need to. I have issues with a lot of common headlamps on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I can give it a water test down in the Misty Fiords.

As long as you're attached to the headlamp "during the test"

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post

But I must say......It sure would be a waste of a headlamp

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    Test one on the slope.

Northriver,

I will keep you in mind, hard hat configuration was actually a major concern of design....but still capable of dual purpose use by being easily re-configured for use on your noggin.

Hunt_AK,

x2

The water test would be only the 180" of rain we get annually, sorry but I don't think I'd do a dunk test.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 07-19-2009 at 06:16. Reason: added info

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

The basis of this headlamp will be all about brute, overkill. All structural components will be made of aluminum and nytrolon.....not flimsy plastic. All adjustments will use actual hadware.....not mass produced plastic junk. This will be the kind of headlamp that will take a fall with you as you scrape your face across a granite ledge and the headlamp falls 50 ft. off a ravine......and still intact. Much of this headlamps "lighting system" will use READ........3VOLT Lithium BATTERIES not week double A's. Can you say cold weather performance? I'm taking matters into my own hands......I need your help. The Lighting System will also utilize Surefire LED compenents........anybody interested? You may end up owning (for free) a piece of Alaskan History for your much needed effort.

sounds like your on the right track... with 7 months of winter here i use a head lamp a lot...

here are my complaints...

headbands that either stretch and fall off in the cold... or contract so tight they suck your hat off your head..

limited battery life... or large battery packs strapped to the back or your hat... ( see complaint #1)

limited Vison... dang it i want a SPOT light that will allow me to follow a pencil line with my chain saw.... ( yes i can and do) or at least something that will be safe to use cutting fire wood. ..

I also want to see the YARD with it not my feet.

multi use... you know some times you have to take them off and hold it or set it down to work on something... so that 173 feet of cord the other battery pack is on,you got stuck in your waist band and arctic gear ... has to go... (oh then you got to put it back after laying in the snow at -50.

and if i can find the switch with my gloves on... great.

so here is what we need...

somthing that will stay attached in most any condition. and bright enough to melt the snow in your path...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wouldnt it have to be intrinsically safe to use it on the slope? Lots of classified modules up there.

Mainer,
    Sounds like you got a good thing going, sign me up.

Lots of non-classified areas where work goes on up here also...and mostly outside...

I'd be interested in testing it in the Fairbanks area. Do plenty of plowing and yard work in the winter, have been utilizing my ol' firefighting lamps.

The straps don't hold up too well over the hardhard on inspections though.

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    Wouldnt it have to be intrinsically safe to use it on the slope? Lots of classified modules up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Lots of non-classified areas where work goes on up here also...and mostly outside...
    B-radford, good point. I forgot about that one. Most of the time it would be used outside, like hunt_ak said, but even then, if your within 25' (I think) of a flange or valve it would be hot work without being intrinsically safe.

I know one thing if Mainer can pull it off, he might sell thousands of them on the slope. I know I could buy ~ 150 of them for my crews.

The long distance musher crowd is always looking for the newest best also.... I have one that was made by a musher that is pretty hard core..

It is 12v, it uses four lithium D cells. It has a Krypton(?) bulb that will blind you if you look directly at it. The innovative part is that it has a chip in it that ramps the voltage up slowly to avoid blowing bulbs. The fit and finish of the headlamp is pretty crude and the wire connector plug from the battery box to the headlamp was crap. I cut off the connectors and spliced the wires with trailer plugs and use it on my trapline and running dogs. The lithium batteries are ridiculously expensive but they last a long time.

Its a great headlamp when you need a long throw, but for everday life in the dark, I havent found anything that beats the Princeton Apex with rechargable NIMH "AA"s. We rotate the batts thru the charger all winter long and get at least 2 yrs on a set of four.

Thanks for the responses folks.

The head lamp is only one of many pieces of outdoor equipment that I will eventually produce.

Regarding the batteries..... I'm not for d-cell or c-cell (too bulky and heavy). Those batteries can only be used in a belt attached battery pack. I'm also not for AA or AAA batteries....they just don't provide the type of cold weather capabilities that I'm looking to provide with my design. It's very important that this headlamp be versatile enough to transition between varying layers of winter hats, helmets, and hard hats. This design will adapt to any head-wear....ulitmately being offered in more specific configurations due to contractual requests ie....a very specific headwear for a large number ordered. This headlamp will use three independent heads....adjustable for floodlight or focused beam applications. 80 lumens for about 33 hours @ 40 below. or 240 lumens for about 11 hours @ 40 below. no one could truly understand what 240 lumens is like.......it's indescribable. I could use more advice regarding "intrinsic safety".......what exactly does this mean in relation to the job at hand? What does the above mentioned require of the headlamp design? Other material not mentioned are the use of varying densities of micro cell foam for a custom fit comfort of the head lamp front.....and rear battery pack. I'm working out the technical crap with a military-grade supplier out of Cali.......it's all about temp. extremes and it's relative pliability....lotta stuff being hashed out just yet.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

means your going to Hire an Engineer or a few of them... and get OSHA stamped and approved. there is a considerable amount of testing to insure that this light can not set off a spark in an O2 rich environment or an explosive environment. confined space etc etc....it will include all from haz-gaz to grain dust.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast