Thread: My tip o'the day

Default My tip o'the day

Don't smoke pink salmon. There you go.

Tomorrow's tip: Don't hook yourself in the cheek. It hurts.

Seriously, we just smoked a batch of pinks, and it just did not come out pretty. It's all so mushy, even when smoked, it just kinda disintegrates when you take it off the rack. Weird. Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Don't smoke pink salmon. There you go.

Tomorrow's tip: Don't hook yourself in the cheek. It hurts.

Seriously, we just smoked a batch of pinks, and it just did not come out pretty. It's all so mushy, even when smoked, it just kinda disintegrates when you take it off the rack. Weird. Live and learn.
    I was going to say that there's an exception to every rule, but then I read tomorrow's tip and would like to say that you nailed that one head on!

On the topic of smoking pinks, though, just today I smoked a batch of pinks and a batch of reds at the same time (same brine, smoker, etc) and they turned out great. In fact, our house guests tonight liked the smoked pinks better than the reds. They have a more mellow flavor, they said -- I agree. While I actually like the robust flavors in the reds, the pinks subtleties are very tasty and can make a great product.

I also would agree that they can turn out pretty mushy, as the meat seems less forgiving as it were, but I've found that if you treat the flesh gently and smoke them longer than normal you can dry them out to the proper consistency and they flake off much like any other smoked salmon. I rarely freeze pinks, preferring to deal with them fresh or lightly refrigerated a short time after capture. I've not had much luck with frozen pinks thawing into anything other that gruel.

But your mileage may vary...!

Cheers,
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Default Have had good luck...

With frozen pinks. Kept 6 of them from Hope one year in the freezer for a few months and also got another 6 that were headed/gutted from a gillnetter friend of mine just to make sure it wasn't a fluke; both batches turned out great both on the grill and in the smoker; very mild like trout although I'll take a sockeye over anything! Pretty sure it all depends on how the fish are taken care of after caught (bled especially).
    Jim

They are a mild flavor, not a bad thing. The consistency is just not what I'm used to. Maybe if I'd given them another hour or two in the smoker it would have helped. The skin-side especially is mushy, so I suspect they just weren't smoked long enough.

Just curious, did you dry them for some time between the brine and the smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post
    Just curious, did you dry them for some time between the brine and the smoke?
    A little while, but not a huge length of time. I'm sure more time would've helped, too.