Thread: looking at a boat, what do u think...

Default looking at a boat, what do u think...

Im looking at a 1986 22' Sea Sport with a Volvo Penta AQ151 with about 1300 hrs. Seems to be in good shape. Can anyone tell me about the motor?

Default Used Seasport

Depends on a lot of factors, but the outdrive and motor should be suspect and if you can easily afford to replace both with a new outboard, soon, might be a decent way to go. Lots of in/out setups out there that will soon need serious repair or perhaps better yet, replacement with outboards, generally less expensive and easier replacement options. Some of these in/out setups might need some serious transom work to set up with an outboard which seems to be a more reliable and simpler trend than in/out replacement. Just my .02 cents but something to think about.

Default 1100 hrs

I have a '89 Seasport with 1100 hours on it, and have been worried about the time on it. I have taken it to 3 marine mechanics over the last 2 years and had great results. It always starts and runs very well for me. From what I have learned it comes down to use and maintenance. A inboard life, as I have been informed, (I run a Kodiak 350) is somewhere between 1500 and 3000 hr's, depending on maintenance, and a outdrive will last as long as it is kept up every 50 hr's, or as required. My .02 cents is to take it to a marine mechanic and have a comp. test done, ect.. I have heard of a motor with under 200 hr's blowing due to poor instalation, and a motor w/ 3000+ running like a top. More than anything it comes down to the prior owner keeping up w/ a steady maintanance schedule. The cost invested for a qualified inspection for a potential buy will more than makemup for replacing a moter you can not afford. Again, my own .02 cents.

Default 1982 aq125a

I have a Volvo Penta AQ125a and it runs just fine, couldn't see the high expence of converting to an outboard as a real option, to costly.
    I take good care of it and the guy I bought it from in 1982 did so also. very important. Compression check might be in order, mine only had 780 hours on it and comp was 130 per cylinder, (new was 145psi)
    A boat will always need to be repaired and upgraded thats where the saying comes from
    A hole in the water to through money into!
    Inboards are fine, if you have lots of money to thru into that hole great.

As far as replacement goes I would bet it would not cost any more to replace a V8 inboard motor and outdrive than it would to replace a 250 hp outboard. Some inboards seem to run forever and some die young, just like outboards. Have someone inspect the boat first and go from there.

Besides, if this is the original motor and outdrive don't you think over 20 years of life from it says something good about it?
    Tennessee

Default AQ151 Parts Availability ???

One of the best mechanics in Anc for Volvo is Andy at Noah Marine - I would be asking about the availability of parts for that unit. I know that if you ever had to replace a manifold it will take a LARGE chunk of cash.
    I would look long and hard before I purchased a boat with an older Volvo
    outdrive & Motor
    IMHO - Good Luck
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Thumbs up Aq151a

I own a 1986, 22' Seasport with AQ151A and I love it. That motor is awesome. Unbelievable gas mileage and lots of push. I put 5 guys in mine and come back with lots of fish and it will get on step and run even with all that weight. Parts are readily available. Usually if I need a part and I have some time, I look on the volvo penta website and get the part #, then try to find it on ebay or some other site and I get it a lot cheaper. Lots of little tricks to save some money. I have 1330 hours on mine and I think it would last another 1330. I have owned my boat for 4 years and I do most of my own maintenance. I send it to Odies for the major stuff (timing belt). If you have any specific questions, PM me.
    Kammer
    22' Seasport