Thread: Tanana Gunsmith

Default Tanana Gunsmith

I am trying to find a gunsmith who worked in the village of Tanana in the late 1960's. He worked on modifying Springfield 03 sporters into really nice rifles. I have seen two of them. The nicest belongs to one of my friends in Kenny Lake. They are sporterized and then restocked in really nice XX walnut. The smith specialized in a Griffen and Howe classic sporter style stock and a lyman peep.

I have seen one other sporter at a gun show but I was low on dough and couldn't feed the need.

I am just wondering if any body knows who this was or if he still is working.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

40 years ago? Most of the great gunsmiths were 40 to 50 years old back then. Many had bad lungs from years of breathing walnut dust, buffing compound and hot blueing fumes.

Almost all of the classic gunsmiths I knew from that time period have rode on up the trail ahead of us.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    40 years ago? Most of the great gunsmiths were 40 to 50 years old back then. Many had bad lungs from years of breathing walnut dust, buffing compound and hot blueing fumes.

Almost all of the classic gunsmiths I knew from that time period have rode on up the trail ahead of us.
    Don't forget having a Lucky Strike in their mouth while breathing all that other stuff.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Tanana gunsmith

I lived in Tanana in the '70's. No real full on gunsmith then,,,,BUT a man by the name of Glenn Gregory owned a store and the Gregory Flying Service. He IS (note caps.) a master crafstman, basement gunsmith and liked '03's. I know, as he traded me out of a stock,cherry,hardly used, 03-a3!!! Oh you got me Glenn!! PM me as i know his whereabouts. Can't say he did those guns, but I'd put money on it! bob
    alaskabob