Thread: Commercial Vessel/Owners/Crew Gets Hands Slapped

Exclamation Commercial Vessel/Owners/Crew Gets Hands Slapped

When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default slapped?

Maybe you need to re-read the story. They got more than a slap; over $18,000 in fines and the loss of about a quarter million dollars of revenue next year depending on the grounds price.

I think they and other commercial fishermen will sit up and take notice of these sanctions.

You on the other hand are just trying to stir up hate and discontent between user groups.

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Maybe you need to re-read the story. They got more than a slap; over $18,000 in fines and the loss of about a quarter million dollars of revenue next year depending on the grounds price.

I think they and other commercial fishermen will sit up and take notice of these sanctions.

You on the other hand are just trying to stir up hate and discontent between user groups.
    I agree that the fines were steep... should the subject read, Commercial Vessel/Owners/Crew get Financially Devastated? I wasn't trying to describe the level of punishment, I was merely saying that the crew/owners/captain etc were punished for falsifying their reports.

As far as your comment about me stirring the pot... I think you should do a little research on some of my posts...specifically the ones here in the Fisheries Management. I have started posts asking folks to bring ideas to the table WITHOUT arguing or bickering.

I think this incident is interesting because of the latest successful push by the commercial industry to reduce the limit to 1 halibut per sport-fish angler on a chartered boat in 2c because they...the charter fleet are over fishing their percentage of the TAC. The Trident may not have gone over their quota, but fishing out of their specified areas leads to over fishing the areas they harvested in during those five trips.

I am very aware that this incident doesn't speak for the entire commercial fishery. Unfortunately it is a big black eye considering what is being done to the charter industry in 2C.

I am not here to stir up hate between the groups... there are folks that post here that will hate the other side regardless if I posted that link or not. I posted it because many of the members of this site, and many of those concerned with the halibut issue live in areas that may not read the Fairbanks Paper.

By the way... good job stirring the pot.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default hand slapped

When talking about punishment for a crime, saying someone got their hand slapped is implying they got away with something, that the punishment wasn't enough to discourage a repeat of the crime.

Your subject line is inflammatory and there is nothing in the post to indicate otherwise.

I'll have to take you at your word you meant differently.

Default accountability

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    I think this incident is interesting because of the latest successful push by the commercial industry to reduce the limit to 1 halibut per sport-fish angler on a chartered boat in 2c because they...the charter fleet are over fishing their percentage of the TAC. The Trident may not have gone over their quota, but fishing out of their specified areas leads to over fishing the areas they harvested in during those five trips.

I am very aware that this incident doesn't speak for the entire commercial fishery. Unfortunately it is a big black eye considering what is being done to the charter industry in 2C.

I am not here to stir up hate between the groups... there are folks that post here that will hate the other side regardless if I posted that link or not. I posted it because many of the members of this site, and many of those concerned with the halibut issue live in areas that may not read the Fairbanks Paper.
    You are correct that fishing out of their assigned area leads to over harvesting in the area they fished. It's good that they are paying a steep price for their actions

Yet you are not placing the blame for "what is being done to the charter industry in 2C" where it belongs, with the charter industry in 2C. Unlimited growth has the same effect on fish stocks as illegal fishing. The council is holding the 2C charter industry accountable for their unlimited growth with the reduced bag limit. Not that much different than fining someone for fishing out of their area if you think about it. Both make people accountable for their activity.

And what does illegal black cod (sablefish) fishing in the Aleutians and Bering Sea have to do with halibut charter fishing in 2C? That was your reasoning for posting this thread.

" I posted it because many of the members of this site, and many of those concerned with the halibut issue live in areas that may not read the Fairbanks Paper"

This story wasn't about halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    You are correct that fishing out of their assigned area leads to over harvesting in the area they fished. It's good that they are paying a steep price for their actions

Yet you are not placing the blame for "what is being done to the charter industry in 2C" where it belongs, with the charter industry in 2C. Unlimited growth has the same effect on fish stocks as illegal fishing. The council is holding the 2C charter industry accountable for their unlimited growth with the reduced bag limit. Not that much different than fining someone for fishing out of their area if you think about it. Both make people accountable for their activity.

And what does illegal black cod (sablefish) fishing in the Aleutians and Bering Sea have to do with halibut charter fishing in 2C? That was your reasoning for posting this thread.

" I posted it because many of the members of this site, and many of those concerned with the halibut issue live in areas that may not read the Fairbanks Paper"

This story wasn't about halibut.
    Directly from the article
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Federal fisheries officials have fined the skipper and backers of an Alaskan fishing boat for falsely reporting where they took halibut and sablefish, and suspended their fishing permits for one year.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/