Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sand Lake Pike

Default Sand Lake Pike

I would like to catch some pike here in Anchorage and read that Sand Lake is pretty much the only place that has them. Ive driven around it and can't find a public access place. I don't have a boat and would prefer fishing from land. Can someone help me out?

Try Fire Lake in ER. The fishing isn't spectacular but there are a few fish to be had.

Go down Dimond to Sand Lake, hang a right. Turn right on West 80th, follow to the end. There is a small public access on the canal there. I've seen people wade-fishing there, too. Most of the rest of the lake is private, so shore fishing is very limited. To my knowledge that is the only public access.

Good luck!

I thought F&G chemically killed all of the fish in Sand Lake.

Not yet. This fall is when it's scheduled, so they are encouraging people to go catch pike while they can so they don't just go to waste.

Default sand lake access

Go to the Sand Lake elementary school on Jewel lake rd. The is a paved trail to the right that will take you back to the lake. There is some shore line that you could fish if you don't mind musqueg? But a little father down the trail, there is a pier that you can fish from also.
    Hope this helps. Go get them pike while they are still there before they kill off the lake!

Marc
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenMarc View Post
    Go to the Sand Lake elementary school on Jewel lake rd. The is a paved trail to the right that will take you back to the lake. There is some shore line that you could fish if you don't mind musqueg? But a little father down the trail, there is a pier that you can fish from also.
    Hope this helps. Go get them pike while they are still there before they kill off the lake!

Marc
    Oh, cool...I had no idea about that one. Going to have to check that out. My wife wants some pike.

Why is F&G going to kill off the fish???

Default Sand Lake

Not sure about typical pike type water there, but I have pulled some trout of the pier!
    Good luck.

Marc
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Why is F&G going to kill off the fish???
    Because pike aren't native to the lake and are eating everything else in it. (including the also non-native stocked fish that Fish and Game puts in there each year....). And there's always the threat that the pike will somehow get out, crawl across the land and find their way into another lake and/or stream system. Personally, I'd rather fish for pike then stocked char or itty-bitty bows, but I understand the concerns that F&G has....pike have most likely contributed heavily, if not being totally responsible for, the decline of salmon on the Susitna side of inlet.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    And there's always the threat that the pike will somehow get out, crawl across the land and find their way into another lake and/or stream system.
    More likely, there's the threat of pike being introduced by someone from Sand Lake to other bodies of water where they are not native or welcome.

Pike are also in the Li'l Su, having access from the Nancy Lake's system, happily munching on king smolt; yet others blame "commerical fishermen" for killing off the Kings in their gill nets, far away and in the ocean. Of course, that is but one factor in the dismal returns.

I'd love to go more into detail, but there is another sub-forum for it: Alaska Fisheries Management; and to keep in the good graces of the moderators and the posted rules I won't comment further on the topic here....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    More likely, there's the threat of pike being introduced by someone from Sand Lake to other bodies of water where they are not native or welcome.
    Yeah, I understand that. I was being somewhat sarcastic, as that has always seemed like a dumb basis for removing pike. On the other hand, that's most likely how the pike got there in the first place. Then that leads to the question: if someone really wants to introduce pike into another body of water, what is to keep them from doing just that? There are 50 places nearby that have pike in them, so I don't see how removing them from one lake is going to be a major roadblock to unscrupulous people.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post
    Pike are also in the Li'l Su, having access from the Nancy Lake's system, happily munching on king smolt; yet others blame "commerical fishermen" for killing off the Kings in their gill nets, far away and in the ocean. Of course, that is but one factor in the dismal returns.

I'd love to go more into detail, but there is another sub-forum for it: Alaska Fisheries Management; and to keep in the good graces of the moderators and the posted rules I won't comment further on the topic here....
    Actually there are far more pike in the Big Su than the little su. Alot of pike came from West cook inlet and up the big su and into Flathorn, then Redshirt and on and on.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

How long do you think itll be before the pike are back? Personally id give it a year or two before there back in force. I done believe all these lakes are introduced to pike by some johnny pike seed guy walking around. I truly belive in the floats of the planes and eggs sticking to them. Lets see, yes there is an ass illegally doing the introductions. But how come theres a majority of lakes with pike that also have planes. In Anchorage, theres Sand Lake, Campbell lake ; that both have pike and planes.But what about Jewel lake ,delong lake, Campbell Point Lake; no planes ,,no pike,,,,HMMMMM. just a thought. Lets see Fire Lake has pike and planes,but Beach lake a couple miles away has neither...YES ,,like I said there is some illegal introductions,but you have to wonder about the float plane connection. Of course fish and game are gonna say know way,plane owners are gonna say know way. I mean, do you really think there gonna stop planes from flying because of the pike problem if they even admitted there was a problem.

Klondike Kid gave the best synopsis of how the invasive species of Pike ruins wild fisheries. When I can locate it amid the myriad of URLs I have saved I'll post it.

It was the best thing I've ever read on it, being that he was completely objective and gave opposing viewpoints to contrast his arguments. (I read it in his reports section and not from the main board.)

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    How long do you think itll be before the pike are back? Personally id give it a year or two before there back in force. I done believe all these lakes are introduced to pike by some johnny pike seed guy walking around. I truly belive in the floats of the planes and eggs sticking to them. Lets see, yes there is an ass illegally doing the introductions. But how come theres a majority of lakes with pike that also have planes. In Anchorage, theres Sand Lake, Campbell lake ; that both have pike and planes.But what about Jewel lake ,delong lake, Campbell Point Lake; no planes ,,no pike,,,,HMMMMM. just a thought. Lets see Fire Lake has pike and planes,but Beach lake a couple miles away has neither...YES ,,like I said there is some illegal introductions,but you have to wonder about the float plane connection. Of course fish and game are gonna say know way,plane owners are gonna say know way. I mean, do you really think there gonna stop planes from flying because of the pike problem if they even admitted there was a problem.

Funny you say jewel lake has no planes as I have personally witnessed a few different ones docked in front of their owners houses on multiple occassions.

Thumbs down Doubt It's the Planes

I appologize to the moderators up front, but since this topic popped up here....

25 years ago (and well before that I suspect) there were plenty of planes and plenty of 'bows, but NO pike on Sand Lake. The pike have only shown up probably within the last 6-9 years. My money is on some jack-hole bringing a few in illegally. If you want to see what an uncontrolled, non-native, predatory species can do to an entire ecosystem, go to Hawaii (Big Island) or Ouahu (where they did something about it) and then go to Guam (where they didn't). The difference is paradise vs. a moss covered rock. I got a little off track...the bottom line is that the point of the F&G stocking program is to "benefit recreational anglers". That is open to a lot of interpretation, but personally I think the intended audience are kids. (for an example, look at Phoenix AZ where kids are almost the only ones that can fish the stocked lakes, at least as of a few years ago) Bows, char and landlocked salmon are relatively easy to catch whereas pike are a little more unpredictable. If you want to get a kid hooked on fishing (pun somewhat intended), the better you can make the experience for them the first few times out, the more likely it is that they will stay with it for the long haul. Pike present a challenge of sorts to anglers that can make them more elusive. Don't get me wrong; I think they're a lot of fun to fish, but they have their place, and Sand Lake isn't it. Aside from being against the law, illegally introducing pike into stocked lakes ruins the experience for (in my opinion) the intended audience. Good luck fishing for pike in Sand Lake! I hope you catch your limit. Bring a lot of friends so they can get their limits too! I can't wait for the fall when they choke those little bash-tards out...

Fantm,

Your reply brought back memories of a lake I've fished for nearly twenty years in Texas. White Bass were not stocked by Fish N Game but illegally introduced sometime after the 1957 impoundment. Ten years ago I'd catch maybe one or two White Bass a year when flipping for Largemouths or Crappie. Five years ago, I was trolling for schools of White Bass as they were plentiful. Granted, they can lay hundreds of thousands of eggs per fish - and I don't doubt "why"!

These fish grow to 9" in their first year and are shad chomping gluttonous. In their second year you can land nice ones to seventeen inches and at 2-2 1/2 lbs. There is a reason you can take home a limit of 25 fish per day/per person, with 50 in possession. I love fishing for 'em; however, I also know how they can decimate an ecosystem that is world-reknown for Black/Largemouth bass fishing -- like Lake Fork.

Of course, I'm comparing apples to oranges, as pike are not White Bass, and are from different climate zones/ecosystems...Like I said, it just brought back memories....

Yes fishwacker, ive seen maybe two planes on Jewel lake.There mostly there sitting on the ice in the winter....so just maybe there chances of helping spread the pike are very slim. Unlike Sand lake which has 20 or so planes sitting on it all year, or Campbell Lake which has an easy 20 on it also,or Fire Lake which has an easy 20 on it....Should I go on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast