Thread: Unit 7 or 13 best bet for nice black bear?

Default Unit 7 or 13 best bet for nice black bear?

Hi all, i'm new to the forum here. Whitetail hunter from pennsylvania coming up to hunt AK. Planning a DIY black bear hunt for 10 days in sept. Trying to narrow down some locations to hike into. Have been looking at Northern part of unit 7 and 13D. Would one be much better than the other? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Default Information

Sending PM....

Unit 7 has a much higher black bear population density than unit 13.

I know, just thought maybe it would have less pressure??

Pressure shouldnt be an issue. Seen many more bear in 7 than 13. Get up high and glass the slopes with berrys. Probably the best time of the year to hunt mountain bears.

Default unit 7 cooper lake

you could rent a canoe from ak raft and kayak and hunt around cooper lake high density of black bears

Some of our bears in PA...trail cam..problem w/ PA 100,000++ bear hunters and 15,000 bears...odds are about 1 bear every 50 hunters....no baiting and season is only open after alot r hibernating...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the reason you are traveling to AK, to hunt black bear or, is that a side trip while visiting?

The reason I ask is there are better areas than Unit 7 to get after them.

coming up mainly to just hunt blackies....sept 10 to 21....excited to see your great state also....meeting a buddy in the air force in anchorage and then going hunting...from reading posts ect., it sounded like 7 would be a good place, i am certainly open to other ideas though. Thanks for your help

cooper lake is a great bet, glassing around cooper landing from the road is a good bet, resurection trail from cooper landing north is great for bears as well. upper russian lake, late sept is a super time, bears will be high on berries and be in good fur. unit 13 does have less pressure, cause it has less accessable bears...but you want to be where the bear are...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I was in unit 7/15 yesterday and saw two black bears on the same mountain. one looked huge.

Default Careful...

The Upper Russian lakes hold plenty of black bears, but there are quite a few brown bears there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Sportsman View Post
    The Upper Russian lakes hold plenty of black bears, but there are quite a few brown bears there too.
    Some areas of 13 have nothing but grizz's....no blacks around.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Thanks

Certainly appreciate all the help you guys have been through posts and PMs, thanks for taking the time. will post pics of the hunt in sept.