Thread: Ruger compact vs. lightweight all weather ?'s

Default Ruger compact vs. lightweight all weather ?'s

So, I'm having a battle with myself for putting together a woods rifle that is kind of like my pack rifle but light enough to carry all day or have in a scabbard, yet powerful enough to get the job done.
    I've got several rifles and all are equipped with large scopes and no iron sights and I wind up not packing them when I should because they are uncomfortable or bulky.
    My decision was made with the Ruger over others, and chambered for .308 or .30/06 but let's move on from that.
    I've decided between the Ruger lightweight stainless in 30.06 or their compact in stainless in .308. I would like to have iron sights put on, ideally a front sight and a rear weaver rail in stainless and use a BUIS adjustable sight from an AR for the rear and maybe put a small 4X Trijicon scope on it. Does this seem possible?
    Next question... is the .308 with the 16.5 " with a 1:10 twist barrel long enough with that twist rate to accurately throw 180gr projectiles? Or is it too short to effectively stabilize them? Would I loose a significant ammount of velocity with that short of a barrel?

Thanks to all who can help me out

Mountaintrekker

I think you would need a very tall front sight to go with your rear set-up. I think Williams make a peep that fits the Ruger base. I had a Ruger RSI that shot 180's and 200's OK and even tried a few 220 in it.It shot good enough for two hundred yard hits if needed.Power wise its well ahead of the 44mag if your have good bullets.

AW,
    I just looked at Brownell's website and saw the rear sight that you mentioned. That may be the best option so I don't have to have the front sight too tall. Kinda trumps the scope idea though... Ruger does make that scout carbine but the website says they are discontinued. Hmmmm... what to do what to do...

Mountaintrekker

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default I'm agin them, too short, barrels.

IMO, and IME, Barrel Length is a HUGE issue.

The "Compact", has a 16.5" barrel. (Way, too short for the earballs.) (Using a cartridge, like the 308)

The Lightweight has a 20" barrel. (You can live with that.)

The weight is about the same.

I shouldn't think there would be any stabilization problems with 1-10 twist.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty,
    You crack me up... so what yer sayin is that the .308 will be too darn loud with a 16.5" barrel? Or the sight radius is going to be too short? "earballs" is whats throwing me off here...

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    So, I'm having a battle with myself for putting together a woods rifle that is kind of like my pack rifle but light enough to carry all day or have in a scabbard, yet powerful enough to get the job done.
    I've got several rifles and all are equipped with large scopes and no iron sights and I wind up not packing them when I should because they are uncomfortable or bulky.
    My decision was made with the Ruger over others, and chambered for .308 or .30/06 but let's move on from that.
    I've decided between the Ruger lightweight stainless in 30.06 or their compact in stainless in .308. I would like to have iron sights put on, ideally a front sight and a rear weaver rail in stainless and use a BUIS adjustable sight from an AR for the rear and maybe put a small 4X Trijicon scope on it. Does this seem possible?
    Next question... is the .308 with the 16.5 " with a 1:10 twist barrel long enough with that twist rate to accurately throw 180gr projectiles? Or is it too short to effectively stabilize them? Would I loose a significant ammount of velocity with that short of a barrel?

Mountaintrekker
    go with the ruger lightweight with the 20 inch barrel. Like Smitty said.....the bark is out of this world.......it makes your teeth feel like they are going to pop out of your gums. I owned the ruger compact chambered in 260 remington. It bruised the heck out of my shoulder with 160 grainers and I weigh 210 lbs. I think it was the combo of lightweight, 60,000 psi cartridge and the long 160 grainers made for vicsous recoil that i never expected from a 308 family cartridge. A 20 in barrel ruger would be much better.....20 in. is perfect barrel length for the whole 308 family of cartridges.

My wife killed her moose this past year w/ a ruger compact. I have shot it accurately w/ 180 out to 150 yards and see no reason why it wouldn't continue to track straight well past that I was out of room to back up further. My view though is that it isn't really designed for super long range. I would feel comfortable shooting it to 250 yards.

Oddly enough my wife can shoot quite a few rounds through her little ruger compact with no problem from the recoil. I am however with mainer in the getting beat up by it dept. I attribute it to the sharp recoil (more jab than shove) and shorter LOP. It just sits in the pocket of my shoulder funny and bruises me when other larger guns do not. I really like it though for it's usability. The thing can be strapped to the rack of a quad and doesn't even extend over the side to get caught on brush!

Of course if I really want to get done what you are talking about I simply grab my model 94 30-30, it is hard to beat for a pack rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Of course if I really want to get done what you are talking about I simply grab my model 94 30-30, it is hard to beat for a pack rifle!
    Yup or a new fangled Marlin guide gun 45-70, I yake lever over bolt every time but thats just me.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I really enjoy what all of you have posted here regarding carbines. It didnt take long for all of us to "see" the light of a compact rifle. They work, there is never an instance that any of us in the field under hunting conditions......where the CARBINE left us short handed........I'll bet money on that one. 22in barreled 260 that I owned shot a 120 grain load an average of 85 fps. over my 16 in. ruger carbine shooting that same exact load. The 243 win, 260 rem, 7mm-08 rem, 308 win, 338 fed, and 358 winchester......all based off the 308 are prob. my favorite cartridges of all time. Just pure, usable, performance for the rifleman......

[QUOTE=Mountaintrekker; is the .308 with the 16.5 " with a 1:10 twist barrel long enough with that twist rate to accurately throw 180gr projectiles? Or is it too short to effectively stabilize them? Would I loose a significant ammount of velocity with that short of a barrel?

Mountaintrekker[/QUOTE]

I think it will be fine. I recently purchased the new Ruger Tactical .308 in a 20" with a 1:10 twist. I have developed a 175 Berger load that is literally putting four shots in the same hole at 100 yards. If all goes as planned I will tweak my 155gr Berger load Monday

I just read the July 2009 Blue Press from Dillon Precision this morning. There is an article on page 80 about a sniper school in Scottsdale that uses 16, 18 and 20" barrels on their .308 bolt rifles with great success. They mention that an average 26" rifle cut down shows improved accuracy.

http://www.sniperschool.com/sniper-rifle-barrel-length/

Info from our handloading section

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=59084

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Smitty,
    You crack me up... so what yer sayin is that the .308 will be too darn loud with a 16.5" barrel? Or the sight radius is going to be too short? "earballs" is whats throwing me off here...

Mountaintrekker
    What I mean is,,, Yeah, the .308 will be too loud (or sharp/shrill/piercing) with the 16.5" barrel. It's a modern High Pressure cartridge, and it can hurt your ears more than say, a 30-30 when the end of the barrel is that close to your ears. IME, 20 inches on a bolt action is plenty short enough.

Sight radius could be an issue too, but not a painful or damaging one.

"Earballs" is sorta like "eyeballs" only different.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.