Thread: First year fishing up here...

Default First year fishing up here...

Not looking for specific spots to go, not like I would be given any even if I asked. But looking for tips, tricks and advice. I think I know what tackle to use and got the "flipping" technique down...I think. I also think I will try Kenai and/or the Russian River if I can find them. I'm not a very experienced fisherman done some Bluegill and Bass fishing but that's about it. Anything I should know about etiquette, since most places I will be shoulder to shoulder with other fisherman, or so I've heard? Anything is helpful. Thanks in advance and good luck to you all.

Doug
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

I pm you check your in box

Glad you're getting into fishing Alaska-style! It's quite an experience.

In the absence of an experienced fishing buddy, one cannot underestimate the value of just hanging out and watching the fisherman closely before you jump in at any river. Concentrate on the dudes and dudettes who have fish on stringers, and see how they work it, their tackle, technique, etc. Focus on how they interact with the folks fishing around them. And see how their neighbors respond... You'll be surprised what you learn. My wife likes to just jump right in, so I rarely get the opportunity to just sit back and learn from the performers. If you have the opportunity -- take it!

Cheers,
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

I would try to avoid the shoulder to shoulder crap until you get the hang of it. I avoid it anyway. Evn on the kenai/russian you can always find at least 15-20 ft of room if you are willing to walk far enough, its well worth it in my opinion.

Always where glasses as there are a lot of stray hooks flying around. When you have less than 30 ft or so between you and the next guy downstream make sure your drag is set pretty tight. Nothing pisses me off more than someone who hooks a fish and lets it take off 100 ft downstream and expects everyone on the river to stop fishing and get out of his way while he chases it to no end. I have no problem stopping for a moment for someone to gain control of their fish but I draw the line when someone wants to go over the top of me with their fish everytime they hang one. Thats how people take hooks to the face.

I am going to try and get some pics of Jim's Creek, I want to see what it looks like around the bend, if it isnt too deep there, you should be able to go there with a #4 vibrax and tag a few silvers and maybe a red as well. If you have a truck, it would defiantly work better than a car.

Thanks for all the info. Hope I can snag a few before it's too late... Really want to try salmon.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Can't agree more with the comment, about watching people to see what they can do. If you feel like it just ask as well..........I've never turned down a polite question while fishing. I've found most fishers are the same. Part of what makes fishing so cool.
    On to salmon..........Ship creek will start getting good soon on Silvers. I hear of a lot of pinks which is strange, but pinks are like that. Fish roe on a spin-n-glo or under a bobber, or throw a pixie or vibrax lure. Sometimes I'll put a split shot weight on it to cast farther. I like fishing ship on the rock rip-rap between the bridges if I get to chose. Anywhere is good though. Ship is a VERY good silver spot and can get red hot.
    Jim's Creek North of anchorage is good, but you have to have a way to get back there, it's crazy, and I've never fished it.
    Any parks hwy stream can be good once they arrive. (a little bit early still most likely).
    Eklutna tailrace DOES get silvers every year. (now those Kings??? ).
    I like fishing there. Not as combat as you'd think.
    Seward beaches can be good if you want to snag.
    TONs of great spots on the Kenai, Kasilof, Anchor. Just ask and someone will tell you about a favorite. (mine is Izaak Walton State Park and the confluence of the moose and Kenai by they hwy). (ok that just one of mine, but it's usually good spot).
    If you ever are in Homer and want just want to fish, go to the end of the spit and fish right by Land's end hotel, with squid and a weight. I gurentee you fish.
    See tons of spots!! Keep your ear to the ground, watch these threads, and you WILL catch silvers. They are easy to catch and will hit a lot of different stuff readily. Tight lines!!

x3 on the sit back and watch for an hour before you try it! I have given that advice to many guests and visitors over the years. For the kenai/russian it will pay off big time. It is something totally unique to here and hard to explain. Like was also mentioned, since it is combat fishing and there is no secrets if you are polite in approaching folks most will gladly answer your questions and get you pointed in the right direction. Get out there and have fun!