Thread: PWS Shrimp Permits

Unhappy PWS Shrimp Permits

A reliable source, which I cannot reveal, has informed me that the permits we are filling out this year are to determine whether the Sound can sustain a commercial shrimp fishery. I don't know about you guys, but my harvest amounts just plummeted.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

That is indeed the case, from all I have heard. It's important that folks don't view their harvest report as an opportunity to brag up, and overinflate, their harvest numbers.

Like you, I have also had a dismal season.

Default Just report accurately, please...

I've said this before in another thread, but I would strongly urge everyone to accurately report what you're catching. As a former member of the Board of Fisheries, I know that your harvest data is used for much more than just what is speculated in this thread (opening commercial fishing).

I don't have it in front of me right now, but I don't believe the potential opening of a commercial fishery is tied directly to the sport/PU shrimp harvest. I'll try to find the language that the Board passed this past winter.

Mis-reporting what you catch can cut both ways...for instance, if you under-report, it may lead to over harvesting the stock as a whole by potentially allowing more commercial harvest of the total allowable harvest...over-reporting can lead to restrictions if it falsely leads the managers to feel that the harvest needs to be slowed. These are just a few examples.

Not to mention that mis-reporting is illegal.

Art.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Not to mention that mis-reporting is illegal.

Art.
    Thanks for pointing that out, Art. This is the third time I've heard someone encourage others to illegally under-report their shrimp catch.

If you want to affect the management of our resources, get involved in the Board process and the regional advisory councils. Please do not break the law, encourage others to break the law, or mislead managers with faulty information that could lead to mis-management of the resource.

If I read the data correctly, the detrmining factor is based on what we do catch! It sounded like there was an allowable amount they want caught, say 119,000lbs, and the commercial guys got what was left AFTER the sport caught amount was deducted. I also believe it said this season's total catch would HELP THEM DECIDE if there would even be a commercial openier based on the sport catch from this year. Therefore they will hear about each and every one of mine.
    Mike

In my opinion i think its best to give them correct info. If the catch numbers look to low to F&G they may deside to cut back on the number of pots fished per boat if the numbers look good then they will leave it alone and everybody wins .
    One thing you guys have to realize is that there are A LOT of pots in the water fishing, i'd bet on a good weekend there might be 1200-1500 pots in the water (300 boats x 5 pots ??) maybe more ?? Its like a commercial fishery is already there but with a 5 pot per boat limit.
    If ?? and when ?? a commercial fishery ever happens if too many boats sign up for it F&G will cut the number of pots per boat down from 50 to who knows how few?? and that will keep a lot of boats from fishing. Also from what i have gathered from talking to F&G is that they won't just let them loose to fish till the quota is filled , its more like they were going to give them "openings" of lets say 36-48 hours ? to fish in a area, its a way of getting a free test fishery to see whats available. Its gonna be interesting to see what happens if it ever happens.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

BTT
    any more info on commercial shrimping?

I spent a bit of time reading on this subject last year when the BoF was considering a commercial opener. The idea was dropped for a couple of years so that more data could be collected to better estimate the harvestable surplus - this is the amount of shrimp left over following the sport fishery up to the amount ADFG thinks is a sustainable harvest level. According to past permit data and surveys conducted the sport fishery is anticipated to exceed the total qouta by 2011, hence the permit program. Under reporting will indicate that there is a larger harvestable surplus available and encourage a commercial opening. Over reporting will likely result in no commercial opener AND force ADFG to cut back on the sport fishery. The best thing to do is to accurately report your catch