Thread: Salmon Fishing on Elmendorf?

Default Salmon Fishing on Elmendorf?

I have heard conflicting stories about this. I was told that I would be able to catch salmon in Ship Creek on Base but was also told it is not allowed. I also heard that the salmon can't come up past the hatchery on Base either. Can anyone clear this up for me? I have seen a few people fishing there at the bridge near Boniface gate but unsure if they have caught anything.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    I have heard conflicting stories about this. I was told that I would be able to catch salmon in Ship Creek on Base but was also told it is not allowed. I also heard that the salmon can't come up past the hatchery on Base either. Can anyone clear this up for me? I have seen a few people fishing there at the bridge near Boniface gate but unsure if they have caught anything.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...ral/SCanch.pdf

Page 39 of the regs will clear this up for you unless an EO came out which I'm not aware of.... very unlikely especially since they closed king fishing in the lower part of the creek earlier this season. Those guys fishing below Reeve Blvd were probably fishing for trout.

That is correct. Fishing below the bridge on Reeve is C&R only for trout. There is a cable stretched across the creek just below the dam downstream. That is the limit for salmon fishing in Ship Creek.
    Six Mile creek on base gets a run of Reds and I have heard that Silvers come in there also. You have to fish it at the mouth and STAY IN THE MUDDY WATER!! There is a cable to designate the mouth of the creek at high tide. The mouth officially moves with the tides. At low tide the clear water will run quite a ways out. If you need directions let me know.

AK Chappy

I haved fished sixmile on Elmo last year and only caught a bunch of pinks, but have seen some reds upstream at the spawning area later in the season.

Yeah I know where that is..North side of Bae near the Ammo storage. So basically that's the only place to fish on Base for salmon then? Well better than nothing I guess. Thanks for the info guys.

Aye Six Mile about only spot, I checked it a few days ago and didn't see any fish yet. Last year was a bunch of pinks but some reds too.

Exclamation Ship Creek EO

Remember that Ship Creek is closed to all sport fishing above the dam untill after 09-30-2009 by EO.

Guess I'll just have to figure out where eveyone goes in Kenai and try there. Heard some good things about the Russian too. First year fishing for salmon so we'll see. Might even get the wife out there to try it too.

I used to see kings along the shore at the mouth of six mile creek. It was on outgoing tide. Of course that was a good year for Kings.

I think it is still early for salmon at six mile anyway. I could be wrong I havn't been there in years. Also you need to get a permit from the base to fish there. I think it is free and you can get it at the BX.