Thread: NON-pelican camera bag?

Default NON-pelican camera bag?

While I know that the Pelican would be the best for protection I am looking for a easier way to protect my camera while fishing/guiding in an open skiff.

I know there are many out there with field experience so looking to yoke your wisdom. I have a Nikon D70 with a 18-200 lens and need to keep it accessable and dry/protected. I have had issues with frozen hands and trying to open the good clasps on the Pelican style housings.

Anyone have some advice?

George

I have padded the inside of an ammo can for a camera box. It works fairly well, and while it takes more effort, is a little faster top open & close than my Pelican box. Can't say it's any better though; mostly just cheaper.

I have used a small drybag that had inflatable sides for padding. It also had a plastic waterproof "zipper" like a freezer storage bag. That thing was nearly worthless, as getting the camera in & out was a real pain.

If you are just interested in splash protection, there are some rain sleeves for cameras that might work. I use one in inclement weather.

I've done two things that I think worked well for me while rafting, but both involved using a different camera than the DSLR. One was to get a small superzoom point & shoot and stuff it into a small Pelican box that was tied fast next to the rower's seat on my raft. I could pop it out between rapids and shoot away with it's long lens and image stabilization. The other one was to use a waterproof point & shoot for the wet stuff, and just keep it hanging around my neck. Both systems worked for me, but I also packed the DSLR for more serious shooting. I just didn't take it out while there was danger of getting wet.

Check out the "dryzone" by Lowepro. Link below. Very nice bag and fully waterproof. Got one myself a few months back.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Check out the "dryzone" by Lowepro. Link below. Very nice bag and fully waterproof. Got one myself a few months back.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

That's a very nice bag.

Yeah man, they are sweet. I had got some info on the bag from Eddie. Took a while to justify spending the dough as they are not cheap bags. But glad I got one. Actually got mine on Ebay marked down pretty good off the regular price. Around $200 from what I recall. It was a camera store and they sell them on Ebay on a regular basis. Great quality and if out in the bush, taking a float trip, rafting, etc... this is the bee's knees.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Yeah man, they are sweet. I had got some info on the bag from Eddie. Took a while to justify spending the dough as they are not cheap bags. But glad I got one. Actually got mine on Ebay marked down pretty good off the regular price. Around $200 from what I recall. It was a camera store and they sell them on Ebay on a regular basis. Great quality and if out in the bush, taking a float trip, rafting, etc... this is the bee's knees.
    Ditto on the Dryzone. I got one from the same place, and other than being almost too big to fit in the overhead storage compartment, it's a great bag (the waterproof zipper can be challenging . . .). I only use it when I'm off the beaten path . . . other than that I use a ThinkTank Airport Antidote . . .

Thanks for the replies and links. The Ammo box is looking real good (price and protection), the dryzone looks good but I am looking for something that will protect it from other anglers in the boat as well as dry.

Again thanks guys,

George

I use a Tamrac padded ballistic cloth camera pack. It's water resistant enough that unless it's pouring I don't worry about it and if I wanted I suppose I could spray it with Scotchgard or an equivalent. I haven't. It's cushioned well enough to protect the camera for my activities. If it's really a wet day I'll keep the whole pack in a boat box or under the seat. Or in a garbage bag if that's all there is. No bother, in hard rain the camera stays stowed.

I use a Tamrac padded ballistic cloth camera pack. It's water resistant enough that unless it's pouring I don't worry about it and if I wanted I suppose I could spray it with Scotchgard or an equivalent. I haven't. It's cushioned well enough to protect the camera for my activities. If it's really a wet day I'll keep the whole pack in a boat box or under the seat. Or in a garbage bag if that's all there is. No bother, in hard rain the camera stays stowed.

Here's the pack I use for my camera, which is nearly identical to yours. I have the 6X.
    http://www.tamrac.com/frame_velocity.htm