Thread: Ruger or Smith & Wesson

Default Ruger or Smith & Wesson

Looking to buy a 44mag. Having a hard time chosing, looking at a SW 629 Classic, 626 Classic DX with 6 1/2 inch barrels and Ruger Vaquero with a 5 5/8 barrel. Going more for the Smith. Any options of the weapons would be appreciated. I owned a Model 29 years ago that I really like until someone broke in my home and liked it more than I did.

Default Smith

I would go with the Smith. I think their initial quality is better, although the Ruger might be a little tougher in the long run if you shoot a TON. Also, although I have not dealt with them, I cannot imagine Smith's customer service being any WORSE than Ruger's, if you do have to deal with them at any point. Suffice it to say, I will never buy another Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterMarauder View Post
    Looking to buy a 44mag. Having a hard time chosing, looking at a SW 629 Classic, 626 Classic DX with 6 1/2 inch barrels and Ruger Vaquero with a 5 5/8 barrel. Going more for the Smith. Any options of the weapons would be appreciated. I owned a Model 29 years ago that I really like until someone broke in my home and liked it more than I did.
    I own quite a few of both makes, though I got out of the Ruger single actions for the most part. In a nutshell, the biggest difference is in loads. As a general rule of thumb Rugers will digest a little heavier loads than the Smiths. If you're a double action shooter like me, then it's hands down for the Smiths. Their actions just tune up better for DA shooting. If you're only shooting single action, go with the Ruger, whether a Redhawk or SA.

The Vaquero is an odd match compared to the Smiths and the Blackhawk would be better to compare the two. They say the Vaquero is a lighter frame than the Blackhawk and not realy made for some of the rounds the bigger Rugers thrive on. I like my Smiths and my Rugers and as hunting guns seem equal to me with loads I use.

Yea, I like the Smith better anyway, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    The Vaquero is an odd match compared to the Smiths and the Blackhawk would be better to compare the two. They say the Vaquero is a lighter frame than the Blackhawk and not realy made for some of the rounds the bigger Rugers thrive on. I like my Smiths and my Rugers and as hunting guns seem equal to me with loads I use.

I agree with you here sort of an apples and donuts comparison.

But, the New, New Vaguero with it's light and dainty steel grip frame is only made in 357 and 45 Colt. (!?!) The old heavy frame Vaquero was made in 44 mag, 45 Colt, 41 mag ( try to find one), and 357. Then there is the same cylinder frame gun with the Bisley grip frame. These old Vaqueros are listed to take the same loads as the old, new model Blackhawks and the old models too. It is just the new, redesigned with the old grip frame, and milled down lighter cylinder frame Vaqueros that cannot use heavy 45 Colt loadings.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I agree with you here sort of an apples and donuts comparison.

But, the New, New Vaguero with it's light and dainty steel grip frame is only made in 357 and 45 Colt. (!?!)
    Very odd that it's not made in 44mag, one of the most loved (by most but not me) handgun rounds ever. Wonder why.

Don't bash me as a 44 hater, I have nothing bad at all to say about the very fine round.
    I don't like 44mag just because they are everywhere and so many people only like them for the "Dirty Harry biggest handgun reputation."
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Very odd that it's not made in 44mag, one of the most loved (by most but not me) handgun rounds ever. Wonder why.

Don't bash me as a 44 hater, I have nothing bad at all to say about the very fine round.
    I don't like 44mag just because they are everywhere and so many people only like them for the "Dirty Harry biggest handgun reputation."

That gun is simply not capable of taking 44 mag pressures in that very slim cylinder and the cylinder frame would stretch with that big magnum. It is really made for the SAAS cowboys and they shoot 38 specials and very light 45 Colt loads. The original BP load of the 45 Colt would be too heavy for the cowboy shooters.

I'm with ya on the 44 mag everybody and his dog has one. It is a very capable round and Harry made it extremely popular but truly the 45 Colt can do all the 44 can when loaded to like pressure in a strong gun.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default smith is the one

there is no real comparison in triggers and in accuracy, the smith and wesson is a much better buy. It will be more accurate and shoot much better than the Ruger. the trigger is better with the Smith

I wore out one S&W L frame and have put more rounds through the model 29 than I care to talk about. Yet the best shooting "hunting" handgun that I have ever owned is a New Model Blackhawk. It has had a little tweaking.... all done by me and less than $100 in parts were involved.

I also have a 4" Redhawk that will shoot (single action) with any N frame that I have had my hands on and with loads that will shake the screws plumb out of the N frame. Since the Blackhawk(41 mag) came along I don't shoot the Redhawk near as much. I won't part with it though!

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS View Post
    there is no real comparison in triggers and in accuracy, the smith and wesson is a much better buy. It will be more accurate and shoot much better than the Ruger. the trigger is better with the Smith

Though there is an accepted advantage in the S&W over any Ruger model in an out of the box trigger, it is absolutely not true that an S&W is more accurate than a Ruger. It may be an individuals ability that makes one easier to shoot and one might place shots better with either model but just about all I've seen will shoot a tighter group than I can hold and I can sometimes still hold.

The comparison the original poster used was an S&W 29 vs a fixed sight Vaquero and that isn't really an equal footing. The S&W with its trigger and sights would be a more accurate gun with most shooters skills than the Vaquero but not necessarilly a more accurate gun, in my opinion.

Default cost

If cost is an issue then a brand new SS Super Blackhawk in 44 will most likely cost you less than a nice used S&W. If its to be a hunting gun you"ll likely be shooting SA anyway so it will really only be a fit and feel issue. I agree totally with Murphy on this one I dont think that there is any quality or accuracy difference between a new MIM S&W and a Ruger, they are both great guns out of the box. As far as accuracy is concerned my Super Blackhawk actually shot just as accurately with factory ammo in the factory bbl as it will now with the same ammo in the Douglas bbl that I rebarreled it with and the new bbl has a tighted cyl gap lapped forcing cone cut to the correct angle for cast bullets, etc. etc.

P.S. Old Elmer always said that a single action was the fastest out of the holster and for the first shot.

Thats the one that counts anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS View Post
    There is so much variability between individual handguns that I hate to generalize, even though I own a bunch of them and have had a lot more over the years. But I'll bite.

Among the 3 dozen or so I own at present in an assortment of models and calibers are a fully tricked out Smith 629 with and 8 3/8" barrel, magnaporting, millet sights, action job, you name it. A standard Redhawk I own is more or less comparable with the 7.5" barrel, factory grips, no action job or magnaporting, and the only non-stock feature a set of Ruger's express sights.

I consider both to be "long range" open sighted revolvers, and in fact each has taken deer beyond 75 yards.

But the Redhawk lands groups half the size of the Smith. It's a sincere longrange tack driver.

And throughout my handloaded ammo collection you'll see one of two words on each box of 44 mag. They're either labeled Smith or they're labeled Ruger. The Ruger Redhawks digests either just fine, but if I put one of the Ruger loads in a Smith 44 of any model it binds up on the first shot. Every single Ruger I've owned will take heavier loads than any Smith I own. Just the facts of life.

Quit shooting single action and move to double action, and the Rugers are on the sideline. I've tuned lots of them and lots of Smiths. The very best of the Ruger trigger jobs just can't come close to an average Smith. So the Smiths are much faster to shoot and more accurate to boot.

Courses for horses, and each gun is an individual unto itself. But "most accurate" has to be qualified when comparing the two makes. They're each most accurate, but in different ways.

Default Poppy-Cock!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    There is so much variability between individual handguns that I hate to generalize, even though I own a bunch of them and have had a lot more over the years. But I'll bite.

Among the 3 dozen or so I own at present in an assortment of models and calibers are a fully tricked out Smith 629 with and 8 3/8" barrel, magnaporting, millet sights, action job, you name it. A standard Redhawk I own is more or less comparable with the 7.5" barrel, factory grips, no action job or magnaporting, and the only non-stock feature a set of Ruger's express sights.

I consider both to be "long range" open sighted revolvers, and in fact each has taken deer beyond 75 yards.

But the Redhawk lands groups half the size of the Smith. It's a sincere
    longrange tack driver.

And throughout my handloaded ammo collection you'll see one of two words on each box of 44 mag. They're either labeled Smith or they're labeled Ruger. The Ruger Redhawks digests either just fine, but if I put one of the Ruger loads in a Smith 44 of any model it binds up on the first shot. Every single Ruger I've owned will take heavier loads than any Smith I own. Just the facts of life.

Quit shooting single action and move to double action, and the Rugers are on the sideline. I've tuned lots of them and lots of Smiths. The very best of the Ruger trigger jobs just can't come close to an average Smith. So the Smiths are much faster to shoot and more accurate to boot.

Courses for horses, and each gun is an individual unto itself. But "most accurate" has to be qualified when comparing the two makes. They're each most accurate, but in different ways.

Since 1956 S&W has built minute of angle model 29s, Ruger two out hundreds with a certain SSK 300gner.

BB, any of yer Smiths the newer enhanced? (dash -4 and above), hey I actually have a bud who's hand fits that brick of a Redhawk no matter who's custom grips are installed.

As to whoever said the Longus Coltus would do anything the .44 Maggie could do....I submit 180s@1800fps....nope the Longus Coltus prefers heavy slugs.