Thread: .308 Win 200gr loads?

Default .308 Win 200gr loads?

Any of you guys ever load up a .308 Win with 200gr bullets?

My niece was drawn for a Bison permit and I am trying to figure out what to have her shoot. She has a Ruger Ultralight in .308 that fits her well but neither myself or my sisters family have anything in a larger caliber that will fit her.

I realize a 200gr bullet out of a .308 is taking up a lot of powder space and will cut down on muzzle velocity and energy. She will need to limit shot distance due to this to less than 200 yards. Preferably 100 or less.

I have not found much info on loads above 180gr for the .308 Win but did see that Double Tap Ammo is loading a 200gr Accubond for it that should do the job if her shot is well placed.

I have hear there great for moose out to 150 yards or so. I would use the partition over the accubond but at the slower 308wins velocity it should do fine. Try Speers manual I think they make a 200gr 308 bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post

My niece was drawn for a Bison permit and I am trying to figure out what to have her shoot. She has a Ruger Ultralight in .308 that fits her well but neither myself or my sisters family have anything in a larger caliber that will fit her.

I realize a 200gr bullet out of a .308 is taking up a lot of powder space and will cut down on muzzle velocity and energy. She will need to limit shot distance due to this to less than 200 yards. Preferably 100 or less.

I have not found much info on loads above 180gr for the .308 Win but did see that Double Tap Ammo is loading a 200gr Accubond for it that should do the job if her shot is well placed.
    I've used the 200 Noslers from a 308 for years. Good combo for penetration, but long on recoil in a light gun. Best powder for me in both accuracy and velocity is IMR 4320, with IMR 4350 not far behind. Nosler has data.

I'm betting your niece won't like shooting them one bit though. They smack you pretty good in a standard rifle, and I would expect more so in an ultralight. As for performance on big critters, I wouldn't have any qualms about using the 180 Nosler instead for a very slight letup in recoil. The Nosler manual has lots of loads for 180's, too. If she's shot the Ultralight lots and isnt' bothered by it's recoild with factory loads in general or equivalent, no probs with the 200s.

If I recall correctly the bison hunt has a retained energy at 100yds requirement and a .30-06 with 200gr. bullets just barely squeaks by. Not sure a .308 will pull that off or not but I'd be sure to check.

Check out the Nosler Reloading Manual. The 200 grain Partition eats up no more space than a 180 grain ballistic tip. I think the 200 grain partition is perfect for the 308. It'll have plenty of smoke and weight to do anything you need it too. That ultralight has plenty of barrel length for all the short action cartridges based off the 308.

A 200gr PT launched at 2450fps from a .308 will retain 2300 ft.lbs at 100 yards.

Surprise,surprise...per Nosler reloading data you CAN pull this off with the .308 and W760 so you could be good to go! That sounds like a really hot load however.

I have data at home with IMR 4007ssc and a 200gr .308. It is a very accurate load in my AR style 308 with a 1:10 twist 24" barrel.

I'm out of town until mid afternoon Saturday, I'll look it up and post data when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    A 200gr PT launched at 2450fps from a .308 will retain 2300 ft.lbs at 100 yards.

Surprise,surprise...per Nosler reloading data you CAN pull this off with the .308 and W760 so you could be good to go! That sounds like a really hot load however.

760 is a great powder for short barrels too.

For many years the 200-grain Nosler was my top pick in a Savage 99 308 for fast shooting in the brush. It just gave the right mix of limited meat destruction, penetration, and quick kills. Several times I sent one lengthwise through goodsized deer without recovering the bullet. Through and through penetration the long way. Come to think of it, I've never recovered a 200 grain Nosler from any animal using the 308 or 30-06. Ought to do just fine on buff.

Thanks for the help guys, I am sitting over in Afghanistan right now and didn't have access to my reloading manuals. I now have somewhere to start from when I come home. I never doubted the .308's capability of killing a buff with a 165gr or 180gr bullet but fish and game has requirements and didn't want to run into any issues with that.

Thanks!

Thanks for the help guys, I am sitting over in Afghanistan right now and didn't have access to my reloading manuals. I now have somewhere to start from when I come home. I never doubted the .308's capability of killing a buff with a 165gr or 180gr bullet but fish and game has requirements and didn't want to run into any issues with that.

Thanks!
    Thanks for being where you are and doing what you're doing. Anything we can do to make your and your niece's hunt a success, count on us.

My data on the 200gr Sierra Match King may give you a place to start in your mission to load a 200gr bullet for your 308.

The Match King is a boat tail design as is the Accubond, they will shoot similar. The Accubond is a superior hunting bullet when compared to the non-hunting target Match King.

My examples are used in my AR style .308 with a 1:10 twist and a 24" barrel. The semi auto design will of course reduce muzzle velocity compared to an equal length bolt action rifle. Your velocity will be better.

I full sized my brass for reliable function in the semi auto rifle.

IMR 4007ssc @ 43.9 gr
    Winchester brass trim @ 2.005
    COL 2.810
    CCI 200
    Sierra Match King 200gr
    2304 fps
    1/2 MOA @ 200 yards in my rifle

H-4350 @ 45.1 compressed
    Winchester brass trim @ 2.005
    COL 2.810
    CCI 200
    Sierra Match King 200gr
    2352 fps
    1/2 MOA @ 200 yards in my rifle

These loads functioned well in my rifle, your results will of course be different. Use careful reloading practices when developing your loads and start below my loads for safety in your application.
    Last edited by marshall; 07-18-2009 at 14:01. Reason: edit IMR data

Default .308 Win with 200gr bullets

Speer Manual #14 has a whole page of loads with 200gr bullets. I have a Ruger M77 MKII in .308 and it loves the 200gr Sierra Game King Boat Tail bullet. Accurate Load for that:

IMR 4320 41gr
    CCI 200
    OAL 2.800

I have not chronied this load but it shoots wonderfully. It does have a pretty good kick to it. For Bison a better bullet is obviously required but yes, shooting a 200gr bullet in her .308 is very possible. I think its awesome that you are taking her hunting!

Thumbs up 180gr Accubond

Suggest a bullet no heavier than 175/180 in the 308 Win.......heavier bullets rob you of powder capacity.....in this short round. The 180gr Nosler Accubond or 168gr Barnes TSX will give you the best performance and Reloader 15 or Varget is the best powder I have used.

ABH-
    The bison hunt that he's refering to specifies a 200gr bullet with 2000ft/lbs. retained energy at 100 yards in the regs.

As good as 180s can be, they don't legally qualify for this hunt.