Thread: Grayling

Default Grayling

Hit the Tangles Mon/Tues and it was like I have never seen it before. Grayling were everywhere you stepped and everywhere the fly hit the water. Bead-headed nymphs slammed them and then it was on to dries of any kind which proved to be equally successful.

We caught/released over 250; largest about 16"....no kidding!! Glad I had my studded boots because that green moss is a pain without 'em.

Will be up there today enjoying the fishing. thanks for the Report
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I was up at tangle last week from Tuesday through Tuesday of this week. It was pretty good. My 2 year old caught a ton of fish. I stopped counting at 100 every day.

Awesome!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Phish Phinder,
    your 2 yo is hooking up?! I have a 20 month old and I can't wait to take him for his first fish. i think this summer may be a little optimistic tho. any tips on breaking him into the world of fishing? i think a snoopy rod with some yarn and split shot over the winter may be part of the process. love to hear some stories. take care, abel6wt

That was his first fishing trip, though we have spent quite a bit of time with his snoopy rod.

I put him in a life jacket, water shoes, and baggies, let him wade out about 20 feet from shore with me, and get him settled. After he got settled, I would tell him to push the button. He let the current drift his fly (treated with scotchgard to help float). He would reel in, the press the button and let the current drift his fly down.

I'll post some pics when I get some time.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Fished Rock creek and Tangle yesterday. Bluebird in glenallen and pouring on the Denali. gotta love it. Caught half dozen in rock creek and got to say hello to a brown fuzzy critter with kids. got the heck out of there. Fished tangle at the top and bottom and did very well. biggest was about 12 inchs and so pretty, sorry guys no pics as I cannot use the camera, hold the fish, and drink a beer at the same time. Water on tangle had gone a bit cloudy though. Not as clear as im used to seeing it

can someone give me directions from eielson/northpole on how to get to tangled lakes i have an idea not 100 %

I have never been, but I am 11.5 hours into a 12 hour shift and bored to death

Read this. Maybe it will be of use...

http://www.fishalaskamagazine.com/ar...anglelakes.htm

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...s_brochure.pdf

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Fair...le+Lakes&2s=AK

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Head to delta junction then south to paxton. Turn right on denali highway. 22 miles down the road just where the pavement ends is tangle lakes and the tangle river

would it be worth making a trip up to tangle from Anchorage? Or would I be better off in a closer spot? Have a friend who has never caught grayling before, and was thinking of taking a weekend into the interior to try.
    Also, any other sites in this area that would be worth visiting? Bearing in mind I will not have access to a boat.

I think it is well worth the trip to Tangle for grayling. You do not need a boat. The river is totally fishable from the banks all the way from upper to lower tangle lakes. As well as where the river starts and empties into lower tangle. I love camping there and playing all over. Rock creek is about 2 miles past tangle and it holds grayling to and is not wide and very fisheable all over also. If your looking for a shorter drive Id hit mendelta creek. It is about 10-15 miles this side of lake louise cut off. It is loaded with grayling also