Thread: Rescoping a Sako 300 H&H

Default Rescoping a Sako 300 H&H

I am replacing the old Kuharsky base and B&L scope on my Sako FN.
    I have already purchased a 3 X 9 X 42 X 1" scope and am having some difficulty deciding on what base and rings to use.
    I talked to Talley today and they offered several options, however when I looked at their website this evening it is sorely lacking for info, IMO.
    I dont need quick detach or any thing like that. Looking for simple, strong and as low as possible.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I am replacing the old Kuharsky base and B&L scope on my Sako FN.
    I have already purchased a 3 X 9 X 42 X 1" scope and am having some difficulty deciding on what base and rings to use.
    I talked to Talley today and they offered several options, however when I looked at their website this evening it is sorely lacking for info, IMO.
    I dont need quick detach or any thing like that. Looking for simple, strong and as low as possible.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    If you are looking for mounts that are strong and as low as possible you should consider Conetrol bases and rings. Their website is not as informative as some, but it does provide clarity in their pricing and they are easy to deal with on the phone. I've had great experience with the mounts and the company. Their appearance is very sleek and they are lightweight. Some people report difficulty in assembly, but I've not had any problems and I have installed them numerous times.

www.conetrol.com

Your FN Sako is FN Mauser M98. Warne and Weaver Grand Slam steel bases will fit. Talley makes his bases for the rifle. If you call Talley again, tell Gary what you have and he'll fix you up. I think there lowest ring will mount your scope. In other words you need FN Mauser M98 bases not Sako, I'm sure you know that.

Now to the important stuff. You have a 300 H&H, Sako, made in Finland on an FN deluxe action rifle. Is this rifle original? In unaltered condition??? WOW! Do you know how rare that gun is? You could send you grand kid to college with that gun sale. Could you post a picture for me to drool over?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

A couple of pics, not best but hard to get a close up and get all of it in the photo.
    Its a shooter, not the lightest for sheep but sure shoots good.
    The rifle is original to my knowledge. Its been used as you can see, when you start dragging shooting irons around in the mountains they tend to collect a scar or two.
    I bought a Pride Fowler scope and some Conetrol bases/rings, and have been having some issues getting the bases to line up.
    I was thinking about trying some different b&r, but it may be the front and rear reciever heights are offset more thasn the standard .160-.165?
    So I may end up shimming the rear base some to get things to line up.
    Last edited by Akgramps; 03-21-2010 at 22:55.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR