Thread: dipnet?

Default dipnet?

Where in Kenai can you buy a dipnet. This is my first time down here and I didn't know you couldn't use a black net and pole here. I looked all over and had zero luck?

Freds, Mike's Welding, also a buy on the way to the Warren Ames Bridge, Three Bears, Trustworthy Hardware, and many more....

You can use the handle and pole you already have. Buy a net (gillnet) and swap it out. It won't work as good as the 5 foot circle hoops (from shore). But it will still get the job done.

AK Chappy

Default Mike's Welding

I bought mine at Mike's Welding in Sterling. I'd recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by kyhillbilly View Post
    Where in Kenai can you buy a dipnet. This is my first time down here and I didn't know you couldn't use a black net and pole here. I looked all over and had zero luck?
    Why can't you use a black net? Or is it just better not to? I found out that for hooligan white or green netting works almost 100% better then black. I think they see it coming and swim away, which makes perfect sense.

Kenai is a clear river and the fish will see your net. You can use your black net in the Kenai, but you will not do as well as those using other nets. Also the gill net helps hold them in as the water is not like the Copper River (fast).

In Soldotna I'd go with Mike's Welding, while up in the Anchorage area Ronn Fuller in Birchwood makes great nets.

Default mikes

I bought mine at Mikes years ago and love it, worth the buck's compared to the others. My family has busted 2 since the one I bought at Mikes. The fish in the Kenai can see the black nets and steer clear, where on the Copper it is so thick they go right in. When combat netting you can't beat a gill net for the hook and drag routine.

I'm very satisfied with my Mikes welding net

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Kenai is a clear river and the fish will see your net. You can use your black net in the Kenai, but you will not do as well as those using other nets. Also the gill net helps hold them in as the water is not like the Copper River (fast).
    That's what I figured, but he said you can't use them in the Kenai, and with so many regulations I was wondering if I'd missed that one....lol. I don't think I actually have any black nets except for a landing net anyway.