Thread: Certified

Default Certified

I am now officially a certified bowhunter! I am eager to get my first bow kill this fall.

CONGRATS where you hunting this year? from what i'm aware of where you are at has no hunts that require the certification? still great class to have!
    good luck
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard!!!

Taylor

-[]------->

I live in Nome and will be going after moose, caribou and musk-ox this fall. I have had great success with a rifle and now it is time to challenge myself. Ammunition is ridiculously high priced up here anyway!

Congrats!

Yep allot easier on the pocket book, but I think you'll find there are allot of reasons folks take the archery route for there hunts. I've put away anything that goes bang for all my hunting from ducks to Bou to bunnies and everything in between.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Congrats! How was the class? I am taking mine on Saturday. How many people were in your class? The one I'm in is rather large.

Default Congrats

Nice going. Glad to see you went to the extra effort to seek out the certification. As you probably found out, if you were prepared none of it was scary.
    Not sure how many people out that way hunt with, or have thought about hunting with a bow. I am sure a lot of eyes will be on you, and people will follow your endeavors to see how you do.
    Sure hope that you continue to set good examples and lead others into the life of an archer. Good luck to you.

A bit of advice for Hoytgirl: I took my field qual last night in Wasilla and we had a full class. When we finally got out to the range to shoot they asked for four shooters to start and I stepped forward and got into the first group of four. Am I ever glad I did ! My group finished at about 8:40 PM and then the next four started. They must have been there until dark trying to get everyone through the course.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

HOytgirl.... My wife did it a few years.. back... with great satisfaction... as all those big tough guys... swore up and down....

DANG SHE OUT SHOT US ALL!!!!

get your practice in and show them up...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks, guys. I'm sighted in and ready to go. Thanks, Rich-if it goes down that way I will step forward and try to be in the first group.

Thumbs up

Well it all worked out with ease, I am now officially certified to bowhunt. My class had 21 in it and I was able to go in the first group.

Default WTG Hoyt Girl!

Congrats! I suspect you found it straight forward. If you are proficient with your equipment, it is pretty easy. It was pretty amazing the stuff I saw last year when I shot. It was the folks that were not prepared that did not pass.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Congrats! I suspect you found it straight forward. If you are proficient with your equipment, it is pretty easy. It was pretty amazing the stuff I saw last year when I shot. It was the folks that were not prepared that did not pass.
    As it should be! I'd rather see them fail in a classroom than out in the field.

Congrats AK Hoytgirl, as others have pointed out the test is set up to reward hard work and practice............now lets talk about those training wheels!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Vince

After years of teaching fly fishing and working with my x father in law teaching handgun proficiency, I have too say the ladies pick it up faster and generally out shoot/fish the men.

I'll stand back so you guys can beat your chest and tell me how wrong I am now...........careful don't scuff your knuckles!
    BHA Member

You've got that right on the nose Rick. Most of the women I've been around don't have a lot of preconcieved John Wayne ideas to overcome. I learned to eat humble pie as a sophmore when I went hunting with my girlfriend and her dad. Blacktails in the coast range of western Oregon can test the mettle of any young man and hone the skills of most young women.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Vince

After years of teaching fly fishing and working with my x father in law teaching handgun proficiency, I have too say the ladies pick it up faster and generally out shoot/fish the men.

I'll stand back so you guys can beat your chest and tell me how wrong I am now...........careful don't scuff your knuckles!

OH you are not TELLING ME ANYTHING NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!

after Having 4 daughters of my own...+2 step daughters and 3 step sons...

those 3 boys were harder then ALL the combined girls. for some reason those boys pulled the trigger... er..... NO times at all ... and figured they should KNOW HOW ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!! and were experts.... much to their dismay... those lil girls listened and out shoot them still.....I can say the same for my last 2 wives also...... ( I don't dare piss them off)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

They are also not afraid to move, I'm constantly telling the men in fly fishing classes "your body extends below your waste use your whole body to cast"

One of the funniest things I ever saw was at a hand gun competition in Michigan. Between sets my X and her younger sis would shoot a set of 4, one for the bulls-eye and 3 to remove the staples in the target. They did this all day! You should have seen the look on some of the faces as this little 13 year old girl dropped target after target.
    BHA Member