Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously? CCI Primers??

Default Seriously? CCI Primers??

Seriously folks that reload, would anyone choose CCI over all other brand primers?? When of course you had the choice?

Smile

I guess that would all depend on the reloader !!
    I know for myself I have put over 12,000 rounds through one of my revolvers over the last 5 years and all were set with CCI Primers with not one failure or dud .

I do have many types of primers for my reloading needs and to be honest I have not had one failure in any of my types of primers and they all preformed well .

I like all primers see for your self . If anyone does not like their CCI's I will take them.
    Cheers

RR

Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

OMG! LOOK at all that stuff! I think I just had a "moment" here.

I'm just getting into reloading now so I am by no means an expert. Most of what I know is what I've read in several books or articles and by word of mouth both here on the forum and in person from a few reloaders.

For the AR-15 and it's free-floating firing pin the recommendations, as I understand them, are for a primer with a harder cup and they recommend the CCI 400 and the Remington 7 1/2 SR. That's why I've been looking for them.

Why don't you like the CCI's? This is the first I've heard of anyone having a strong preference on primers.

Oh yeah, this thread probably needs to move to the Handloading forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    OMG! LOOK at all that stuff! I think I just had a "moment" here.
    I thought you were talking about the calendar....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    Oh yeah, this thread probably needs to move to the Handloading forum?
    Consider it done....

Ranger Rick, what kind of press is that? (the blue one)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post

Consider it done....

Ranger Rick, what kind of press is that? (the blue one)
    That is my Corbin Walnut Hill for swagging Jacketed bullets .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Thats what I thought. I had a thread a while back on bullet swaging...now I know who to ask if I want a demo!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Actually I was but while typing I had a sudden attack of self control.

I'm over it now.

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamonte View Post
    Seriously folks that reload, would anyone choose CCI over all other brand primers?? When of course you had the choice?
    You say there are other brands? Humm. I don't know except that they are all I've used forever and can't recall ever having a problem in tens of thousands of rounds. I do admit tho, that I use Federal in my shotgun shells. Have you had problems?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I started with Federal primers and have made the switch to CCI. I get better ES numbers with the CCI primers. Both brands are top quality but I choose CCI when I have a choice.

I started with CCI for rifle and pistol and have stuck with them because they are what I have and my loads were worked up using them. No issues over the last 30 years or so. Shotgun I'm not so picky.

I use all brands and have had no trouble that was not my own doing. When I have a choice I always pick CCI and feel they are the most consistent out there.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default "Seriously" ...Why not?

What's your beef with CCI's Monte?

Doc

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    What's your beef with CCI's Monte?

Doc
    Yeah, I've used nothing BUT CCI's, ceptin for a very few Small Pistol primers from Federal. I have a couple, three boxes left, but don't use them no-more because, my Wifey's 38 Special pierces them at times.

I've never had a single problem with ANY CCI primers of ALL sizes.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Same for me Smitty...I've primarily used CCI's of all flavors over the years without a single hitch. Back in the old days of plenty (last summer), I even bought CCI's over other brands sitting next to them on the shelf.

However, in this current era of skimpy pickings, I pretty much buy what is there. I even have some Federal match primers on my shelf...and I'm way thankful for them.

Doc

Default My Beef?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Same for me Smitty...I've primarily used CCI's of all flavors over the years without a single hitch. Back in the old days of plenty (last summer), I even bought CCI's over other brands sitting next to them on the shelf.

However, in this current era of skimpy pickings, I pretty much buy what is there. I even have some Federal match primers on my shelf...and I'm way thankful for them.

Doc
    Yeppers Doc! Beggars can't be choosers a hey!

CCI has always been last on my list primarily cuz I chrono everything, then there was the American Handgun article comparing primers I read then the years of reloading.

Should I mention the advisory from Dillon as if we hadn't noticed the size variation with our Lee primer tools!

I'm in Alaska since "93 and never once picked CCI for my primer of choice for the real deal ammo for the woods. Maybe I missed the memo, I ROed at the local range complete with chrono, for years.

Bottom line here is that Sundles @ Buffalo Bore Ammo sez cci are best?!!

That line was like a slap to my face, WOT?

I'm 62 yrs old and have been doing the "gun culture" thing since the sixties of the last century, at no time in IPSC/BR/1000 yd competition has anyone prefered CCI....

Yes I would, and I do. As a matter of fact I have on hand a few thousand Federal 215 LRM and LRM Match primers that I would trade straight across to anyone who has CCI 250 primers. I have just had better luck with the CCI's than the Federals but sometimes you have to buy what you can get your hands on.

What is the difference between primers? Lets see, SP, SP mag, SR, SR mag, LP, LP mag, LR and LR mag. Then the various BR primers.
    Then comes the tough military stuff to keep floating pins from making guns go full auto.
    Seems to me as long as you use the primer for what you shoot, all of them work just fine.
    I like Federal for my revolvers but find no difference with CCI, Rem or WW.
    CCI makes the most accurate .22 ammo for the price today, why would I doubt their primers? I used them for more years then some of you have been alive.
    I read all kinds of stuff about some primers being too hard or thick for some guns. Well if you altered your guns mainspring, you are at fault.
    Primers just need to be worked for loads like powder, etc. CCI might work better in one gun but Fed might be better in another and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamonte View Post
    I'm 62 yrs old and have been doing the "gun culture" thing since the sixties of the last century, at no time in IPSC/BR/1000 yd competition has anyone prefered CCI....
    Not to start a flame, but in NC I've seen and used CCI BR2 & BR4 primers in BR competition and at 1000 yard matches. I know for many years Federal primers were the rage, but I am not certain that is as true as it once was.

Just to show I am not in left field on this I did a quick search on the 6mm BR at 6mmbr.com and this is their advice for loading:

Primer Selection
    CCI BR4s and 450s are giving the best velocities, with lowest ES, for the 100+gr bullets. For the shorter bullets, the Fed 205s work well. Federal 205s give good accuracy, but they don't handle high pressures as well as the CCIs, which have a harder cup. Stick to CCIs for hot loads.

Just my thoughts on this.

I use about 1 brick of Federal 215M primers every two years shooting various mags and ultra mags and to date have not found a reason to try any other brand of primers. Should I be considering another primer for large capacity, overbore cases despite my lack of problems to date?

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    I use about 1 brick of Federal 215M primers every two years shooting various mags and ultra mags and to date have not found a reason to try any other brand of primers. Should I be considering another primer for large capacity, overbore cases despite my lack of problems to date?
    I started with Federals and had no problems to speak of. I do shoot all my my loads through a chronograph. I wasn't happy with the wide ES numbers that affected SD and of course 200 plus yard consistency between shots.

I tried CCI 250's and BR-2's and my recipes instantly improved with ES numbers about half of the Federals across the board. With equal velocities my groups improved.

This really doesn't matter in a hunting situation with such a large kill zone. However, I try to do my very best and the CCI's helped me to get there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast