Thread: Need help with gear

Default Need help with gear

Hey ladies and gents I have a question...Can anyone suggest a spinning reel to go on my brand new medium-heavy ugly stick? .I will be using it for silvers,reds and Kings. Thanks guys.Also has anyone tried out the thermacell mosquitto repeller?

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    Also has anyone tried out the thermacell mosquitto repeller?
    Thermacells work great if you are standing still. Not so much if you are hiking or moving around a lot. For bank fishing or camping they work well.

I don't know much about reels. I usually buy what's cheap.

Hey ladies and gents I have a question...Can anyone suggest a spinning reel to go on my brand new medium-heavy ugly stick? .I will be using it for silvers,reds and Kings. Thanks guys.Also has anyone tried out the thermacell mosquitto repeller?

I've been running a Pflueger President 6740 with a Medium Ugly Stick and love it for reds.
    Might be the best reel I've found for the money. Easily as nice as reels costing over twice as much

We'll see how it holds up for silvers....

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/produ...ducts.php?p=12

I have been using a Cabela's Tournament ZX and have had great luck with it. Had it for a couple of years and it has been smoooth and flawless so far.

For Mesquitos smoke a cigar, helps more than the best spray, as far as reels I have always prefered Abu-Garcia on my ugly stick, but the "buy what you can afford" always is a good rule for AK fishing, or so I have found.

Default WaveSpin DH4000

Here's one that will be new to most of you, but its one heck of a reel !!
    It has some new innovative technology and one of the best drags in the industry.

On Kings, Silvers, and Steelhead it out performs the Shimano Stratic 4000 & 5000 (I have 6 Stratics) I have used up to now at half the price! The waveSpin HD4000 is sized rite between the 4000 & 5000 Stratic and is perfect for those species. On my last trip to Karluk in 2008 (my 1st with a WaveSpin) for Silvers, I started out with 14# test line and due to the drags performance was able to go down to 10# test line and improve my hooking rate. This year I used it on the Situk fishing Steelhead with jigs under bobbers with great success, check out their web site:

http://www.wavespinreel.com/index.html

Available at Cabela's or from the manufacture .
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Default Thanks

Thank you for all of the replies.I think will check out the wavespin reel when I have more time on my hands.Over the weekend I went to the gulkana for some trophy grayling....I caught a big one alright a scale tipping gigantic 7 inch grayling...(darn) But the good news is i had brought a thermacell and it works great.I would strongly advise it to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by scnettek View Post
    I've been running a Pflueger President 6740 with a Medium Ugly Stick and love it for reds.
    Might be the best reel I've found for the money. Easily as nice as reels costing over twice as much

We'll see how it holds up for silvers....

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/produ...ducts.php?p=12
    X2. I have the 6750 and I love the bearing system. I've caught some nice kings on that reel.

Thank you for all of the replies.I think will check out the wavespin reel when I have more time on my hands.Over the weekend I went to the gulkana for some trophy grayling....I caught a big one alright a scale tipping gigantic 7 inch grayling...(darn) But the good news is i had brought a thermacell and it works great.I would strongly advise it to anyone.
    One thing I didn't mention is that I sent them a testimonial and a couple of pix from my Karluk trip and they sent me a free reel.
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!