Thread: No weather channel

Question No weather channel

I aquired a 96 SeaSport a few weeks ago and have been in the Sound out of Whittier a few times now. Problem is I cannot seem to receive the NOAA weather channel on the VHF in the same general locations that I have in the past with my old boat. Everything else seems to work fine, I am picking up everyone out there on various channels.
    Hoping that maybe someone can advise me on this problem.
    In answer to the first question coming: No I have not remembered to try it out in the Whittier harbor before heading out. Always get the forecast on the internet just before leaving and don't think about tuning in as we head out. I do always request a radio check with the Harbor Master and all is good all the time.

Default No Weather Channel

I noticed in the past few weeks here in S.E. AK that when I switched to channel five for the weather, there was only silence on at least two separate occasions. On one occasion the silence broke at the stroke of noon. Used to be, or at least seemed to be that it was always a constant loop. Not sure if something has changed or if I am just sensitized and noticed something odd.

Default me too!

I bought my boat in 07 and put in a brand new midland radio I bought while visiting relatives in Florida. It has never received the weather chanel and after the coast guard boarded me this year,(they suggested I have it) I got to thinking that something in the programing didn't translate to the west coast, or I have a defective radio. Like yours everything else works. Wish I had the answer, but you asked the question I wanted to ask. Hope we can figure this out.

Can you guys get the weather on your handheld VHFs?

Strange. I cannot think of any logical reason that you would receive signals from other vessels but not from any of the NOAA weather stations. In PWS, we can get weather on any of four channels, depending upon our location in the Sound. Often, we'll get three simultaneously and always at least one.

On every other boat I have had, I could sit here in my driveway in Hatcher Pass and get the weather. Not with radio though. I dont have a handheld, so I don't know.

Exclamation Ditto on Dirtface comments

Other boat sitting in the driveway just outside of Wasilla weather channel loud and clear and nonstop. And like Dirtface, I do notl have a handheld radio right now. But I do still have the other boat with radio that receives weather channel in the same driveway. Pretty frustrating!

Do you have both boats tuned to the same weather channel? Sounds silly, but there are serveral wx channels, not just one? Just a thought. Homer and whittier, and seward are all on different frequencies.

Question Don't fail me now!!

This post has been out there for a few days now, with no real clues as to how to correct this weather channel problem. Maybe its just the way it is, I don't know, but I have learned an amazing amount of information on this forum over the years by asking questions and just plain payng attention to others questions and answers. Figured there might be at least one electronics/ boat lover out there who could take a stab at this. What do you think Dirtface? Any good info or ideas come your way lately??

Sorry Gary. No info, but it makes me want to do some more research now. I have just been putting up with it. Luckily no storms have unexpectedly brewed up while on the water. I think I will call Midland tommorrow and try to get to the bottom of this. dirt

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    I aquired a 96 SeaSport a few weeks ago and have been in the Sound out of Whittier a few times now. Problem is I cannot seem to receive the NOAA weather channel on the VHF in the same general locations that I have in the past with my old boat. Everything else seems to work fine, I am picking up everyone out there on various channels.
    Hoping that maybe someone can advise me on this problem.
    In answer to the first question coming: No I have not remembered to try it out in the Whittier harbor before heading out. Always get the forecast on the internet just before leaving and don't think about tuning in as we head out. I do always request a radio check with the Harbor Master and all is good all the time.
    What else is powered up & operating when you have the problem? Radar? GPS? Sonar? Engine? You may have electrical interference from any other electronics that are operating. Try turning everything else off & see what happens and then turn them back on one at a time to find the culprit.

Smile Nothing else up and running

Have tried this numerous times. Shut off everything except the battery selector switch to power the radio. Absolutely nothing else is on that could interfere.
    Good guess....keep trying!!

Smile Got it working!!!

Dirt face pm'd me and told me that the book on his midland radio said something about holding the e-button down and giving the radio a chance to tune to weather.
    I have an Icom radio with no e-button, but I did hold down the CH/WX button which tuned at first to 22A, then while still holding it down for a few more seconds it tuned itself to channel 2 with the weather report loud and clear.
    Much thanks to Dirtface and I hope he gets his radio tuned in soon. Thanks to others on this forum for comments and suggestions. This is a great way to get things figured out.