Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AOJ hijacked

Default AOJ hijacked

Hmmmm.....somehow, the "other" fishing/outdoors website most of you know has been hijacked, at least on my work computer. I can't get on anymore through any route. I keep getting a webpage that says:

"Thank you for visiting Olde Willow Stitchery Threads on the web!"

It then talks a little about said stitchery, but has no other links to click on.

Anyone else?????
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Where did it go?

I can't seem to get to it either.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the note on this; AOJ is a popular site and I have always respected the hard work that goes into it on nearly a daily basis. I contacted the site owner to let him know, but if I know Gary, he's on top of it.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Talking AOJ back in service

I just got on AOJ with no problem. Someone must have paid the ransom.

It works for me...Did you see those 4 Kings!? Wow!!!

Nick, you sure your computer doesn't have ghosts? Or maybe someone on high is hinting that you need to start getting into stitchery. It might be cheaper then fishing.

I bet a nice stitchery of salmon would sell big here

I just checked the home page and there are no redirects embedded in the code as if it had been hacked. Clean as a whistle. This leads me to suspect that individual PCs are infected with a browser virus. There are a number of them out there that get into the computer when loading a large content infected page and infect the computer from the Browser Cache file while that page is "memorized" and retained in that file.

My suggestion is anytime you have a redirect occur and other surfers don't, go ahead and delete all Bookmarks that are for that problem domain name. Home page, forum page, reports, etc. Whatever you might have in the list. Empty your Cache Memory and Browser History. Then type in the name of the site you want and see if it displays OK. Then bookmark it. And definitely make sure your virus definitions are updated and run a scan on the PC. None of my contacts I had check the site have any access problems so its likely to be infected individual machines.

Thanks Mike for the call.

Interesting...funny that a stitching website would be what has "taken over." I get the site fine on my PC, but I'll clear out the work computer tomorrow as you suggest, Gary. Thanks.

Scott - stitchery? I think not. While I may get a nice poke in the finger similar to when cleaning a rockfish, there's no fight on my rod, no fillet ultimately produced, and stitchery is know for deep frying up somethin' awful.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Nick, perhaps the quick link or bookmark you are using is trying to access the AOJ forums directly.

My AOJ mainpage displays fine, but there are no longer any buttons on that page to take you to the AOJ forums.

Might that be your problem?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I got the stitching website too for a bit today, left the house, when I came back a couple hours later it was back to normal so not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Nick, perhaps the quick link or bookmark you are using is trying to access the AOJ forums directly.

My AOJ mainpage displays fine, but there are no longer any buttons on that page to take you to the AOJ forums.

Might that be your problem?
    No, I went to the drop-down where recent URLs show up, same as I usually do for AOJ's homepage at work (so as not to fill the computer with my personal favorites). Guess I'll clear out all the history and see if I can access it and just bookmark it. I had a co-worker try and he go the funky site as well. I'll know more tomorrow.

Default Mystery Solved!

Turns out there was a temporary problem with the DNS list (Domain Name server list of every site in the world) and the IP addresses were mismatched to the wrong domain names. When accessing xyz.com it used abc.com's IP address and server location so the stitchery site was matched to my IP location.

All fixed now! Nobody has any VIRUSES on their computers as I suspected may have occurred because of the intermittent results on visitors. Tight lines!

Klondike Kid,

I've never visited your forums before.. When I click on "forums", I get the message
    404 Page or File Not Found

Whats the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Klondike Kid View Post
    I just checked the home page and there are no redirects embedded in the code as if it had been hacked. Clean as a whistle. This leads me to suspect that individual PCs are infected with a browser virus. There are a number of them out there that get into the computer when loading a large content infected page and infect the computer from the Browser Cache file while that page is "memorized" and retained in that file.

My suggestion is anytime you have a redirect occur and other surfers don't, go ahead and delete all Bookmarks that are for that problem domain name. Home page, forum page, reports, etc. Whatever you might have in the list. Empty your Cache Memory and Browser History. Then type in the name of the site you want and see if it displays OK. Then bookmark it. And definitely make sure your virus definitions are updated and run a scan on the PC. None of my contacts I had check the site have any access problems so its likely to be infected individual machines.

Thanks Mike for the call.
    I'm running a Mac and when I went to the site this morning it still redirected. But I refreshed the page and it was fine. Strange. Well, It's clear that the redirect (or whatever it was) was cached, and when I refreshed it cleaned itself out.

Looks great now, though! BTW, thanks for a great site Gary!

Have a great weekend.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Klondike Kid,

I've never visited your forums before.. When I click on "forums", I get the message
    404 Page or File Not Found

Whats the deal?
    Not to speak for him, but the forums are off-line for technical reasons. Something about the server crashing, I believe, but I'll let him explain further if he wants. I don't think he even has a "forum" button on the site anymore, so I'm guessing you are trying an old link from somewhere else.

Forums or reports? I can see them using Matanuska Telephone Association DSL here in Wasilla...I've never had a problem. Update: 5:53 pm...still no problem. I also use a Dell Desktop, Windows Vista and have Norton Anti-virus 360 software regularly updated.

Coho Slayer,

Now I get what you are saying...KK (Gary) posted top of his reports section:

"NOTICE: The Fishing Report FORM processing was having problems earlier. Reports from 0001 7/15 until 8am 7/17 (today) have been lost. Its been fixed and working again. If you want to re-submit just send a new one! Thanx! -KK-"

There ya go! I've always wondered, however, why posted reports were so disjointed, and out of chronological order lately, with a report two days old atop the page and I had to scroll down to find the newer reports....Hmmmmm

There used to be both a forum, much like this one, and a seperate "reports" section. The one remaining is the "angler reports." I believe the forum has been removed completely. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Can somebody please post a link?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast