Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haul road etiquette for newbies.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Haul road etiquette for newbies.

OKAY this is not the first time i have been asked this and it comes up every year. there are some basic rules for running the haul road. most importantly BE POLITE to the trucks. those guys ALL know each other and will most likely be headed back at you on your return trip... thats a WHOLE lot of axles to spray rocks at you if you tick them off... and their buddies will too...

ONE other set of folks you really MUST listen to are the Pilot car drivers... they will save your life. they will let you know when safe to pass and they will ask you to pull out of the way when needed.

Keep your speed manageable. and safe...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ****** AK
    Vince,

Could you ask your buddy what i should do when meeting or being passed by trucks on the haul road? Should i pull over as far as i can and stop? or just move to the side but keep going? I'm not real sure on the etiquette and I'll be up there for the first time this fall.

thanks,

****i worked and drove up there for years ...

when one is coming at you... REMEMBER they have right of way on that road..

ease over to shoulder and slow down... you ROCK one and you may not get home with a windshield in tact.. that pisses them off...

just slow up to about 35 or so... you wont be hauling ass any way ... if you are your dead.. and don't know it...the road is rough the pavement is rougher..

let the trucks by you and pick up speed again..

when over taking one.... WAIT for him to ease over... they will when the can see it safe...

go get a CB. channel 19.. be polite...

" hey north bound tank truck... can you give me a shout when it is safe to ease on by?"

don't forget thank yous... those guys work on that road... Graders are the number one ruler of the road they maintain it the trucks give way to them.... if nothing else listen to the truck k chatter... your a visitor.. and will be labeled a 4 wheeler... most will ignore you some will chat a bit. others are just jerks... all will help if you ask them.. once you get 28 miles out of Fairbanks you will loose cell phone service.. until you get to dead horse.

If you don't mind i will copy and paste this on to the main forum. for all

there are several haul road threads from last year that got in to dealing with trucks. in the BOW HUNTING forum... do a quick search they are not that far back...

as i mentioned... i drove truck, and ran a grader, and have traveled the road in my Pickup.... so have seen all the sides of it...

in short remember to be polite. your in their way...

there are few if any guard rails. most of the hills are 6-9% or better. many are gravel. shoulders are soft. it is a HAUL ROAD.

meet on face book here

Channel 19 for the CB last time I was there. Don't be a chatty Kathy, but it can come in handy. (oops..missed that part in Vince's thread)

What ever you do, don't ask a Carlile driver if they know Lisa..LMAO...
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default just my thoughts

It should go without saying, hunting is a privilege, not a right up there, especially that bow corridor that was implemented years back. We dont need to give anyone a reason to shut it down. I have been there 2x without any incidents, the only thing that bothered me was that people really were incosiderate when bou are coming to the road on an obvious path---and everyone flocks to that area---for some reason people havent figured out that though bou are dumb---they arent that dumb. Before you go, get in shape, man up, dont drive your vehicles off the road.

Default army guys

civilians have pretty much had the haul road to themselves the last few years, due to major population deployments to iraq during the last few fall caribou seasons. this year, many soldiers will have the great fortune of being back home in alaska in time to enjoy this opportunity . it'd be really nice to see this same concern for politeness towards returning army hunters with a bow in hand.

LMAO That is funny AKDOUG I just found out who Lisa is by watching ice road truckers yesterday! She is one hott trucker! HEHEHEHE

Default Enforcement

I just got off the phone with the regional trooper for the Haul road and northern area. He would like to encourage all that use the Haul road and surrounding region to please take care of all your trash and gear. Haul it in.....Haul it out.....

He doesn't take kindly to slobs!

We've got nice patch of Wilderness up there.....Lets take care of it.

Simple rules to follow:

1. Park far enough to the side to give the big rigs room..

2. If you see caribou and see a truck that is parked in near that caribou it is a good chance someone is already after that caribou. Take a minute and scope the area out. You will see the hunter allot of times.

3. if you see a truck near by, don;t stop right in the middle of the path the caribou taking. This will cause him to turn and ruin the hunters stalk.

4. Stalking. if you see a caribou coming your way. Have you drive slow down the car but not stop it. get out and follow beside it until you get to the point of where you want to get off the road and into the filed to set up for a stalk or ambush. Caribou don't seem to mind trucks slowing down, but will turn as they see one stopped. Helpful hint here
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

it'd be really nice to see this same concern for politeness towards returning army hunters with a bow in hand.
    Just curious..how can you tell the difference between one hunter and another? I have politeness for everyone..military, civilian, trucker...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Just curious..how can you tell the difference between one hunter and another? I have politeness for everyone..military, civilian, trucker...

as for the Etiquate...

when you start on the Haul Road... at the Manley turn off...

the SIGN indicates... that it is a industrial traffic road and that Traffic has the right of way...

so if he is bigger... YOU must let it by... unlike the parks or glen hwy. commercial rigs first...

Holly: as for the returning army guys? are you indicating they are not considered politeness to?

in my experience though it has been the young inexperienced time/schedule constricted in a hurry to get the deed under there belt hunters that cause the majority of the problems up there...

if you can not schedule the time for the right amount of effort... your chances of getting hurt on the road drastically increase,,, as well your neighbors at the hunt site will be much less pleased to get to know you...

there are NO towns or local subsistance user groups in that area. so there is no one person up there that deserves the right over another...

Plan accordingly and be safe.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince, I understood Holly to be giving people a heads-up that there will be more military folks in the corridor than the last couple of years, and asking for the same politeness to these fellow hunters as to the truckers.

Sort of a side-track on the thread, which was mostly about road etiquette, but a good point: same courtesy to fellow hunters as to the big-rig drivers who have the right of way.

Default clarified

thanx mauser for clarifying my post. army guys stand out with their issued gear on and in years past there has been what i would call some "bashing". deployments and redeployments have led to a big absence for a few fall seasons in a row, it'll be a noticeable increase of bowhunters.
    i like alaska gray's simnple rules.

respect the trucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is their road. Hunt when there is snow it makes it much easier.

Just curious..how can you tell the difference between one hunter and another? .

You know how , Some park along the tundra others drive across it
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default How to tell military?

They will most likely be out hiking everyone else out there due to their physical conditioning. They will have DOD stickers on their rigs, and if you have the privilege of speaking with one of these heroes, they will most likely answer every question with "Hoo-wa" and "yes sir" or "yes maa'm". Be sure to thank them for your freedom.....they earned it, we enjoy it.

They will have DOD stickers on their rigs, and if you have the privilege of speaking with one of these heroes, they will most likely answer every question with "Hoo-wa" and "yes sir" or "yes maa'm". Be sure to thank them for your freedom.....they earned it, we enjoy it.
    Don't worry, I understand it thoroughly.

Don't worry, I understand it thoroughly.

ARE YOU SURE ???? can you tell those of us that were enlisted 20 years ago... paid our dues also????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yeah Vince, they are the ones that start every story, "well when I was in...."

Hehe, just pulling your chain.

Default Read the REGS and be prepared!!!

Being on the subject of military hunting up there I feel it is fitting to add this in.

Last year I went up there during the last week of August. My buddy and I were flagged down by some pretty tired looking guys on the side of the road near Oil Spill hill. They asked us if they could have some water and informed us that they had ran out on the previous night while hiking back from their kill. They saw our Elmendorf sticker and told us that they were also active duty from Fairbanks. Then they started complaining about having to go back out 3 miles to pack out their "cow" they had just shot. I let them know that cows were illegal to shoot that time of the year and went on my way. When we turned around and drove back that way they were packed up and gone, the cow no doubt about it left to rot on the tundra.

2 days later my buddy and I hiked the 5 miles out across from the Franklin Bluffs and shot a caribou a piece. We packed mine out that night and returned to pack out my buddies the following morning. On our way back to the truck with the caribou we noticed a figure in the distance behind us working as hard as he could to catch up to us. We were tired from packing out a full pack of meat so we decided to stop, rest, and wait for the guy. When he caught up to us we saw that he was a mess. He aparently had been walking around out there lost for the past 16 hours looking for the road. I told him he was about 3 miles from the road and he could come out with us the rest of the way and we would give him a ride back to his camp. On further examination he was soaking wet head to toe, wearing standard issue combat boots and cotton bdu pants and top. I asked him if he had a compus or a GPS or dry clothes in his pack. He said no compus, no dry clothes and that he did not know how to use his GPS. That night the temperature got down to the low 30's with a strong wind and rain. I am 100 percent certain that if he had not found us he would have died from exposure before the sun came back up. He was from Elmendorf and even closer to home a member of my own Squadron.

The point of these stories is to stress the importance of knowing the rules, being prepared, and atleast knowing how to use your equipment. Hunting in Alaska has been the best hunting experiece in my life and I am thankful for the 3 years I got to be stationed up here. If you are going to hunt up here though be prepared. Failing to prepare for a hunt up here or not knowing your equipment has far greater consequences than in the lower 48. Make the wrong decision at the wrong time and you can end up dead fast.

For all the military on this forum I hope your time hunting up here is as good as mine was!!!
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Keep your eyes peeled and drive courteous, slow down for oncoming traffic (especially the trucks) so that you don't break any glass. We try to get it under thirty at least, twenty is better as a courtesy to each other and will do the same for you if we are not surprised in a blind corner or rise in the roadbed. Most of the chat going on between the drivers is happening on the VHF radio and if you should happen to be an exceptional jerk, we will broadcast your description and location for a hundred miles and you will become the next sporting opportunity for the other drivers. No place to hide either
    .................................................. ..told ya 'll so.... be nice or go home....

ak bow hunting forum has the rest...

meet on face book here

Default Oldtimers

Quote Originally Posted by akshrop View Post
    Yeah Vince, they are the ones that start every story, "well when I was in...."

Hehe, just pulling your chain.
    You're just a youngun if you can't remember steel pots and c rats (or if you got your black beret without finishing ranger school!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast