Thread: Your Dream Mooching Rod/Reel Combo

Default Your Dream Mooching Rod/Reel Combo

If money wasn't an issue and you owned a 21' Columbia, what mooching combo would you own if you were fishing by yourself? Please consider I'm the only one in the boat.

cowpie

Quote Originally Posted by mcalpin1 View Post
    If money wasn't an issue and you owned a 21' Columbia, what mooching combo would you own if you were fishing by yourself? Please consider I'm the only one in the boat.

cowpie
    I use a Lamiglass "mooching special" with a Shimano Tekota reel with line counter. 600 model.

G Loomis makes an awesome mooching rod. I use one with a Shimano Calcutta reel. It's the best set up I have ever found for Salmon.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default GLoomis 1084

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    G Loomis makes an awesome mooching rod. I use one with a Shimano Calcutta reel. It's the best set up I have ever found for Salmon.
    I agree--I'm fond of my GLoomis 1084 with a 400 series Calcutta or a 6000 or 6500 series Ambasadeur for mooching kings and it isn't too terribly overkill for silvers. This rod/reel does double duty for me on the kenai for kings as well. It was designed for mooching with 1 to 6 ounces of lead and is 9' long, but it makes a pretty mean kwikfish or diver/bait rod too.

However, for silvers I often use much lighter gear such as a medium steelhead rod rated for 8-12 lb test and an Ambassadeur 5500 series. It's lighter and therefor more comfortable to fish all day, plus it can whip any silver on the planet assuming your line and leader are in good shape.

We used to mooch as deep as 150 or sometimes even 180' in Puget Sound for kings. If you anticipate fish deep, braided line will help you get the hooks home.

If you're down in Sodotna any time soon you might be able to pick up a rod that's very comparable to the GLoomis 1084 at an unbelievable price at Trustworthy Hardware. It's the Shiman Cennan, 8'6" long, rated for 12-25 lb line, 1/2 to 1.5 ounces (though it can handle more), and reduced in price from $199 or so down to $67. Screaming deal. Model number is CEC-86MH2. Another option at the same price is the CEC-106MH2. It's 10.5' long, rated for 10 to 40 lb line and 2 to 8 ounces of lead. By the way, Trustworth had a bunch of 5500 and 6500 Ambassadeurs on sale too.

All this being said, I'd go with the 9' GLoomis 1084 if I had to pick one to use for mooching both silvers and kings. It's a fantastic all-around rod.
    Last edited by Charholio; 07-17-2009 at 00:38. Reason: cuz I'm braindead tired

Quote Originally Posted by Charholio View Post
    I agree--I'm fond of my GLoomis 1084 with a 400 series Calcutta or a 6000 or 6500 series Ambasadeur for mooching kings and it isn't too terribly overkill for silvers. This rod/reel does double duty for me on the kenai for kings as well. It was designed for mooching with 1 to 6 ounces of lead and is 9' long, but it makes a pretty mean kwikfish or diver/bait rod too.

However, for silvers I often use much lighter gear such as a medium steelhead rod rated for 8-12 lb test and an Ambassadeur 5500 series. It's lighter and therefor more comfortable to fish all day, plus it can whip any silver on the planet assuming your line and leader are in good shape.

We used to mooch as deep as 150 or sometimes even 180' in Puget Sound for kings. If you anticipate fish deep, braided line will help you get the hooks home.

If you're down in Sodotna any time soon you might be able to pick up a rod that's very comparable to the GLoomis 1084 at an unbelievable price at Trustworthy Hardware. It's the Shiman Cennan, 8'6" long, rated for 12-25 lb line, 1/2 to 1.5 ounces (though it can handle more), and reduced in price from $199 or so down to $67. Screaming deal. Model number is CEC-86MH2. Another option at the same price is the CEC-106MH2. It's 10.5' long, rated for 10 to 40 lb line and 2 to 8 ounces of lead. By the way, Trustworth had a bunch of 5500 and 6500 Ambassadeurs on sale too.

All this being said, I'd go with the 9' GLoomis 1084 if I had to pick one to use for mooching both silvers and kings. It's a fantastic all-around rod.
    Money!

Take it to the bank!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD