Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silvers in Valdez tracker

Default Silvers in Valdez tracker

I know its early but i may make a run down for the silvers soon so i was hoping we could keep a thread going with updates like the pinksso i can plan my trip accordingly im thinking August 21-23rd i dont normally fish the silvers so i am not sure when the best time is

There should be a ton of fish here then

whats a good charter to go on thats not super expensive we were going on a friends charter but ace isnt doing it anymore i dont think i dont know for sure though

Default Silvers

I caught a couple while fishing for Halibut near Patton Bay about 87 miles from Valdez yesterday. Seen jumpers near Schooner Rocks. My guess in about 7 days should be some near Jacks Bay.

Default Pinks

The pinks were a no show this year. I went out this morning for the shrimp pot run and saw nothing. They usually spawn right behind my boat in the harbor and there were none there. I only saw a handfull of seiners in the port from other areas. Don't know what they are waiting for.

Who knows about the silvers. Schooner Rocks is a long way to determine if they are going to go into the port. They could be going to a lot of different places in the sound. The fishing year is yet to be determined!!!!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

i had all right luck when i was down there a week or so ago but it was pretty slow definately not like they have been other years when i was down, went fishing at chena lakes for an hour yesterday and landed a 4 inch rainbow lol

Default It is too hot!

Sitting in Yuba Cuty Comifornia with the temp supposed to be over 100 today. No help or reports from here.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Just got back a couple hours ago from a four-day fishing trip to Valdez. We were fishing off Allison Point for pinks and one of the folks next to us brought in a beautiful silver salmon. While they were cleaning it, I heard that some of their friends caught a couple off the City Dock.
    So the silvers aren't in real strong, but they have sent out the "advanced party"! Give it a couple weeks and it should be hot fishing there!

Is the public pier closed for fishing? Any silver updates?

The pier is closed when a cruise ship is in. I believe the current schedule is about 1 ship per week and I think it's usually on Wednesdays.

There are a million pinks in the water off Allison Point. It's nothing but fins out there.

Silvers have popped up here and there, but are not really in the port in targetable numbers yet. They are catching them pretty steady out in the salt. Within about a week there should be a fair number in Valdez.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Rockey Point

Boats are catching silvers off off Rockey Point. Should be about a week for them to be in the Harbor in any numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    Boats are catching silvers off off Rockey Point. Should be about a week for them to be in the Harbor in any numbers.
    Can you make that two weeks, i'm running a little late this year...

As long as the big numbers are there when they traditionally are during the last week of August, I'll be there and happy. Have that week off from work, and intend to do a lot of catching with the family.

Question Rigs

Last year they were thick and for some reason I only caught one?? I was using flashers with a small herring behind it, seemed to be the rig of choice.

Any idea what i may have been doing wrong?

How deep do you usually fish them?

How far behind the flash should the bait be?

Is there a better rig in your opinion?

My kids and I are going down on Tuesday for a few days mainly for butts then again in the last week of Aug for silvers.

Thanks,
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Last week of August should be good.

Not blowing my own horn or anything, but check out my thread on catching silvers here:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=59257

It's my opinion that too many people focus on trolling when they should be focusing on finding a school of fish and fishing it.

Default Thanks

Great info Slayer. Sounds much cheaper on the gas too!
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    It's my opinion that too many people focus on trolling when they should be focusing on finding a school of fish and fishing it.
    So true. I fished the Valdez derby a couple years in a row with a guy who owns a boat. I fully understand that the guy who owns the boat is the skipper, and you go where he wants to fish. This guy spent plenty of time telling me and two of his buddies how we'd go to his "reliable" area to troll.

Each of the two years we passed a bunch of boats fishing in a fairly tight area not a mile from the dock. It was obvious they were slamming the silvers, with the water exploding around a number of boats...multiple hookups...you get the picture. We asked if he'd like to try over in that area, but the answer was "no, we're going somewhere better".

Long story short, two years in a row we pulled up to the dock at the end of a long day with five or six silvers and got to watch boat after boat unload coolers full of fish and a line of people up at the fillet station waiting to process all the limits they caught. And they probably all had enough fuel in the tank to do the same the next day without filling up.

Default Valdez Weekend

Just spent the weekend in Valdez...wonderful weather and the water was like glass all the way to Knowles Head! Landed 8 bright Silvers there but not much action or other boats in the area. Played around Goose and Blighi. A few more boats in Galena and nothing happening in Jacks.

First time there, so I was mostly hunting & pecking around...you know, blind leading the blind...but it was a Blast!

Cheers!

Default Pretty Slow!

Just spent the weekend there myself, we spent quite a bit of time making small improvements to the boat, including a new kicker. We did troll from Anderson Bay around to Galena Bay, we didn't catch fish until we got past Jack Bay. We did get quite a bit of Shrimp and a few Silvers, gonna head back down there next week and do some more trolling, or mooching if the trolling is slow. I would say give it at least one more week for any real numbers to show up in Valdez Arm. Here are a few pics...

Fish On!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Those pics remind me of why Valdez silvers are so much fun....those are twice the size of the ones in the local area. Can't wait to hit it in a couple of weeks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast