Thread: Cost for Airline approved Fish Box

Default Cost for Airline approved Fish Box

What is the best route to take fish home?

1. Bring 2 coolers at the cost of $15 each to check them.

2. Buy approved fish box when in Alaska?

How much are those boxes?? >$15??

Thanks
    Cody

Quote Originally Posted by cody View Post
    What is the best route to take fish home?

1. Bring 2 coolers at the cost of $15 each to check them.

2. Buy approved fish box when in Alaska?

How much are those boxes?? >$15??

Thanks
    Cody
    I would go with the disposable fish boxes, it doesn't cost to much and the hasle of bringing coolers from wherever you are on a plane stinks, IMO. Remember, the airlines do not allow Ice in your coolers either, so you will have to buy those gel packs to keep anything frozen or chilled.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Since all airlines are charging for checked baggage today, you'd better factor in the price. I'd just buy a fish box and check it once. There are a variety of sizes of fish boxes for sale in AK, but make sure your boxes are not more than 50#. A lot of airlines really jack up the cost of bag fees if your bag/box is overweight (more than 50#).

at wal-mart;
    ~$9 for smalll; holds about 35 pounds of frozen fish
    ~$13 for large; holds about 50 pounds of frozen fish

these are airline approved boxes with a styrofoam cooler inside.

just sent my 2 bros home with fish and that's what they used. One bro had a bigger box full of fish and it weight 53 pounds; but Alaska Airlines did not say anything about it. I think it cost $25 for the checked bag; cheaper than sending. These cooler boxes are lighter than conventional coolers too.

also if you take your fish to get vacuum packed and frozen; many of the businesses will provide a cooler box; for a price.

Default cooler

I always just packed my clothes and gear and a duffle in the cooler on my way up to Alaska - then if you get more meat/fish than the cooler will hold - buy another cooler and fly it home too.

I now have friends that take my coolers home with them - I will get em back someday!

If the fish you want to bring home are frozen, and you go with a styro fish box covered with cardboard, don't waste your money or the space they take up on gel packs. The fish is already frozen, just like the gel pack. They'll thaw at roughly the same rate. If you have some frozen and some not, pack the unfrozen between the frozen. This all predicated on whether your flight is non-stop, same plane, long layover, etc. Frozen fish will easily last 24-30 hours in a styro fish box.

I brought frozen fish home last year in one of those fish boxes. Still nice and frozen after 20+ hours of travel time. Don't bother with gel packs as mentioned before they thaw at about the same rate and just take up space and add weight. We also packed clothes in any free space between the packages of fish as to keep air out. Don't know if it really helped or not but seemed like a good idea.

Default Great Ideas!

I was unsure what the coolers cost. Since they are cheaper it seems than a checked bag I will definitely go the route of packing a cooler with my clothes and bringing it since I will have to check one bag with knives liquids etc... Than if I need more I will buy an approved box and check it as well.

Shipping is insanely expensive!!

Thanks for the wall mart tip too.

Cody

Quote Originally Posted by cody View Post

Shipping is insanely expensive!!
    I saw a sign at Coal Point Tuesday that listed some FedEx prices. 100# was $545.00

Another vote on the fish boxes. Also box up your dirty clothes and extras, and mail them home. More room for fish.

Quote Originally Posted by jason454ci View Post
    We also packed clothes in any free space between the packages of fish as to keep air out. Don't know if it really helped or not but seemed like a good idea.
    Yes. This is a good idea. I always wrap fish that I'm bringing as luggage in newspaper (2x or 3x). It makes a difference in my book. There was a thread on this previously....

Go with the fish boxes, you can get them in a lot of places up here. When I ship fish/crab south to relatives, I use the fish boxes with foam inside and put 3lbs of dry ice in there as well. Dry ice is sold at a couple local supermarkets, usually in 5lb blocks, but I think the airlines limit you to 3lbs per box, could be 5 though. Works better than gel packs and unlike ice, there's no water to deal with afterward. Also, as eluded to in other posts here, make sure you fish is nice and frozen before shipping.

I like my coolers allways bring one with wheels its great for hauling up and down the ramp to the slip I bring extra gear in them and at the airport I just stack the coolers or boxes on the wheeled one and easily haul 200lbs.

Looks like good info and recommendations posted above...here is some additional info for you just in case...

Tape up your boxes or cooler good before hand...if TSA wants to get in them they have to tape them back up...if you leave them untaped thinking TSA 'will' look inside and then tape..anything that isn't taped up won't get taped up any better than how they find it. It's a very common misconception I see regularly - not all bags are hand inspected.

Also - with coolers - many of them just aren't built for air travel...or the travel to and from the plane...plastic handles with plastic bolts break very easily from the equipment and handling - and normally isn't covered as damage. There are some good well built ones though that hold up...but not the $20 ones from wal-mart.

And most airlines no longer accept styrofoam coolers (styro inside a box is fine). No liquid ice...ice packs are good and so is a nominal amount of dry-ice...a few pounds per box is allowed (check each airline for specifics).

I recommend the fishbox. They hold up well and are very re-usable (I've had one for 12 years and it still travels well.)

Also as stated if you fly on Alaska Airlines...first bag fees went into effect last week. $15 for the first $25 for the second and $50 for the third. Anything over 50lb is $50 [maybe a pound or 2 grace depending on your agent]. First class and MVP/Golds get 2 bags free - and travel w/in Alaska still is 3 bags free for all.

I found a large wax fish box that I have put a slightly small (near large) wax box in, ship clothes up in box. Take clothes out and leave or can even ship USPS if you need them, then ship two boxes of fish back. Parents coming up soon and bring a cooler with clothes each, then on the way back they will go with two coolers, one fish box, 1 bag of clothes and a couple of carry ons. When they get home ~140lbs of fillets.

If you are a know shipper still a good way to ship fish out. I ship fish out in DEC or JAN, makes a nice gift and with the temps I always feel good about shipping it then. But my family is in Montana so an easy shipping route for AK Air Cargo.

Two weeks ago, I brought back 85 lbs of sockeye filets and only paid $25 for 1 checked bag on the flight home but that was before Alaska Air started charging for the 1st bag. Brought along a 50 qt icechest with food. Ate the food during the week and replaced it with filets. Bought 1 insulated fish box at Safeway for $20 and filled it with the rest. The fish box weighed 50 lbs and the ice chest weighed 49.9.

Default Nice..

Thanks For the Tips.. I am definitely bringing a cooler with my clothes and than buying a fish box if needed..

I like the idea of packing a fish box full of clothes but they don't sell them anywhere I have found in OR..

Thanks
    Cody

Default Polar bear 48

We use Polar Bear 48 soft coolers. They work great as duffle bags on the way up-checked or carry-on and hold #50 lbs of vac sealed fish. They keep the fish rock solid for 24 hours. We got ours on ebags.com- wait for them to go on sale they do often.